NE&Yorks. Thrunton Woods, Saturday October 24th

Right Lemmings, listen up. This is how you find Thrunton Woods. If you have a road map handy the woods are roughly 7 miles north of the village of Longframlington.

Velo From Byrness head south east on the A68 until it becomes the A696 toward Otterburn. A mile after Otterburn take the left fork (straight ahead) onto the B6341 via Elsdon, Hepple and Thropton to Rothbury(good place to stock up on food etc). Continue through Rothbury on the B6341 past cragside house until you get to the A697 and turn left onto the A697 at the crossroads. Half a mile along the road you will see a mobile phone mast right in front of you as the main road bears right; you need to go straight ahead (fork left) onto the minor road. Continue along here for a mile or so, over the little bridge and then climb up the other side until you see the obvious car park at the top of the hill on your left. Voila! Traveling time is rougly 1hr 10 mins

MacRetro Take the A68 from Dalkeith. At Carfraemill roundabout go left on the A697(sp. Coldstream). Continue along the A697 via Greenlaw, Coldstream, Millfield, Wooler and Powburn. Approx 6 miles after Powburn you will see a brickworks to your right with the woods beyond as you climb the hillside. Now look for the mobile phone mast on your right on the bend. Take the sharp hairpin right beside it onto the minor road. . (If you get to a crossroads for Rothbury and Alnwick you have gone too far). Continue along here for a mile or so, over the little bridge and then climb up the other side until you see the obvious car park at the top of the hill on your left

Gil and Co and Kaya. Head towards Middlesbro' and get onto theA19. Continue all the way north through the Tyne Tunnel and continue following the signs for Morpeth to the very end where it joins the A1. Take the A1 northbound past Morpeth and just before the road goes single carrageway slip off left onto A697(sp. Coldstream, Wooler). Continue along here via Longhorsley and Longframlington, continue roughly 5 miles, still on the A697, straight ahead over the crossroads (Alnwick Right, Rothbury left) for half a mile until you get to the phone mast where you fork left onto the minor road. Continue along here for a mile or so, over the little bridge and then climb up the other side until you see the obvious car park at the top of the hill on your left. Should take around 2hrs 10mins for Gil and 1hr 30 for Kaya.

Marcusi Its the long slog up the A1 for you my boy. Some road works north of Dishforth but should be OK at that time in the morning. Go straight through Newcastle on the A1, past Morpeth and just before the road goes single carrageway slip off left onto A697(sp. Coldstream, Wooler). Continue along here via Longhorsley and Longframlington, continue roughly 5 miles, still on the A697, straight ahead over the crossroads (Alnwick Right, Rothbury left) for half a mile until you get to the phone mast where you fork left onto the minor road. Continue along here for a mile or so, over the little bridge and then climb up the other side until you see the obvious car park at the top of the hill on your left. I won't hazard a guess at how long it will take but if you set off now you should be in time :LOL:

Phew! is that everyone covered??

Si

Sorry for my ignorance but what time are we meeting at :oops: And you havent seen how slow my car is ;)

Meet at 10 for a 10:30 kick off matey.

Few other things. ...

Bring plenty of kit. Its quite wet up there in places due to a week of rain. We will be heading back to the cars for a lunch break so it might be an idea to get a change into dry gear for part two.

Bring your own food. Its a few miles to anywhere decent for food and there is no cafe on site- this ain't no trail centre. Morpeth is the last place en-route to grab any provisions so stock up before you leave unless you want a detour.

Finally make sure your brakes are working. :LOL: :LOL:

My mobile is 07900 813717 if anyone gets lost.

OK Si, with the aid of Google arial photos I now know where I'm going.

I'm bringing extra brake blocks just in case but my Vee's seem to be working well :D

All systems are go.......famous last words :LOL:

Dr S":xpq33k1o said:
Its a few miles to anywhere decent for food and there is no cafe on site
I shall smuggle some of Tunnocks finest over the border, as well as a can or 2 of full strength Irn Bru. If only there was a way of keeping deep fried battered Mars bars warm and crispy...

ZigZag shush !!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you mad, don't you know what Scots customs will do to you if you try and get Barrs finest out the country without an export licence.

Also I dont think our English cousins teeth can take the full strength form, wrong genetic makeup.

As for giving them Tunnocks.........shame on you :?

Yer can keep yer Tunnocks :x

Mind you Mrs S is partial but shes a Shetlander by blood.

kaya":14pdeu65 said:
Mmmm Tunnocks
Teacakes, snowballs or caramel logs my good man?

Zigzag - Doing his bit for the economy of Scotland. And dentists' job security in the north of England.

Back