Pi Electric Bike

FairfaxPat

Senior Retro Guru
I met this guy, Marcus Hays, who is starting to produce one of the most elegant looking, IMHO, electric bikes yet. He has a shop in Sausalito, in Southern Marin. I rounded up an electrical engineer friend, Gary Leo, and Joe Breeze to go look at this bike with me. It has 1200 Watts available ( about 1.6 HP ) and will go 30 MPH for about 1.5 hours per charge on it's Lithium-ion battery pack, which is concealed in the frame. It also has the Avid Code 5 four piston hydraulic brakes and 2.125 tires. Here are two pictures from our visit today, if you look closely you will notice Joe is wearing his MTB HALL OF FAME jacket.-----Pat

Attachments

• Pi Electric Bike.jpeg
    Pi Electric Bike.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 768
  • Marcus, Joe, Pat.jpeg
    Marcus, Joe, Pat.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 765
I drove it around, and it handled quite well. It weighs about 60-65 pounds, but is very agile. It also isn't that big on me, with an effective top tube length of 25", it is the same length as on my Fisher MTB.

I loved that till you said it's electric :x Hope they will make a 'normal' bike as an option :cool:

When I was riding home last night, I was waiting at a traffic light when a guy glided past at about 15mph. At first, I couldn't figure out why it looked so odd but then it struck me: he was going uphill without pedalling!

When the lights changed, I chased him down and he STILL wasn't pedalling. I think it was an electric Schwinn, but whatever it was, it looked pretty nice and he didn't look as though he'd pedalled at all throughout his journey. Had we not been on a 4 lane road I'd have ridden alongside for a chat (or if he'd actually stopped at the next traffic lights where he caught up with me - grrrr!)

Not as funky looking as this machine, though!

Back