'94 Dawes Special Edition (no 10/250)

New pictures on first page. I've rebuilt the rear wheel with a Campag Stheno rim (havn't built a wheel for 14 years, there was some headscratching at first :LOL: ) so both wheel back to original spec, bar the tyres, but this is as close as possible.

Still need a Vetta SL saddle (need to clean up the post) and mc30 STX-SE shifter pods that work, these are pooped.

My first mountain bike was a Dawes.
I bought it from the now dead Tower Cycles in Newton Abbot. The old chap saw I was 6' tall and said I needed a 23.5" frame. He didn't take my stumpy 29" legs into account. So I had a monster sized Dawes Wildcat in I think 86/87.
What small amount of bike handling skills I have is down to that bike. You DID NOT want to fall off forwards! If I remember, my Wildcat had 501 frame tubes but 531 forks. The Edge had 531 throughout and QR wheels.

Finally finished, the last thing was the saddle which took me quite a bit longer to source than the campag rim! The Original Special Ed STX was quite hard to find also, luckily I had the bars and stem and forks (you won't believe what shockers i've had on this over the years).

The pedals are just cheapo ones for now, will get some spd's on it. The tyres are as close as possible, Conti Baja's just don't exist anymore, all have perished.

It's brilliant ride and brings back so many memories :D

PA191269low.jpg

A little play with the pic, highlights the paint scheme quite well!

PA191269alow.jpg

I'm also after this racer if anyone has seen one...

untitled_603.jpg

Dawes Kickback Comp

Hi there.
I have a Dawes Kickback Comp from somewhere between '93 and '96.
Is that considered a retro bike????
It has a very strange purple and pink errosion style paint job. I'll post some piccys when I can.

At the moment, I am riding a (slightly modified) 2000 BMW MTB that I bought when I was working in Munich. I am assuming that it is pretty rare. Again, I'll post some piccys this evening if I get 5 mins.

Back