1992 Kona Lava Dome - Updated 4 Oct 08

SNAP,
you have very good taste.
I love the ride of my Lava Dome, and now I ride it more than my 02 alloy Kona hardtail.
Take it easy :D

Attachments

• lavadome01_1_944.jpg
    lavadome01_1_944.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 12,470
adrian":r0gt776q said:
SNAP,
you have very good taste.
I love the ride of my Lava Dome, and now I ride it more than my 02 alloy Kona hardtail.
Take it easy :D

After chatting to Argos i wasn't convinced that green or purple would give the look i wanted. Then i saw a picture of yours and i was convinced white and black was the answer ;)

It's a bugger to keep clean though, my missus keeps havin a go at me for using all the wet wipes on it, WOMEN!! :evil:

Yeah,
the white kestrel usually goes through a tin of mr sheen quite easily too :LOL:

Both very nice bikes BTW ;)

Updated the photos as i've sorted some of the niggling little things by fitting:

NOS Suntour XC Pro Brake Levers
NOS XT Thumbies (Thanks YoungGeoff)
NOS Chain Suck Device (Thanks B3)

Also shortened the cable outers (just for you Stick Legs :D ).

This is currently my only steed, so she is also wearing nobbly tyres. I've been thrashing it off-road every week for a while now and she's standing up well. Immense fun to ride and aside from the demise of the previous DX thumbies, completely reliable too!

It'll be a shame when my new bike arrives and this reverts to my commuter. However, i'm not sure that long term (ie Winter) the Kona would stand up so well.

Pretty slick! I would have liked to see you keep the Velocity stem though; it's a nice original compliment to the frame and fork. Especially since you've continued to run a canti on the front. Not a criticism at all, just a thought.

Really, an extremely sweet refinish job. :cool:

True, but the Syncros stem was one of the parts i coveted as a youth.

I was trawling eBay for a cheapo commuter that wouldn't be on the radar of thieves. I saw this and it appeared to fit the bill with the added bonus of being a bike i pawed over in Catalogues BITD.

When it arrived i was searching for places to pick up cheap parts to fix it up and found Retrobike. The irony is that i sold all the cheapo parts the bike came with and used this site to buy all the shiny things i couldn't afford as a kid :roll:

The focus of the build then completely changed and i ended up putting together the bike i wished i could have built when i was 13.

In the grand scheme of things she ain't the most glamerous, but is one of the few things in life that has exceeded expectations. So, in no way is it a faithfull restoration but it definitely is the bike i would draw in my textbook during boring French lessons at school :D

No offence to the French, it wasn't the language that made it boring - it was the teacher. Madame Proctor to be precise :LOL:

Back