NE&Yorks. Thrunton Woods, Saturday October 24th

Just got back from the Recce. Jesus, you see so much more in the day; some of the drops beside the trails we hammer along in the dark are life ending :shock:

I hope your brakes are tip top gentlemen.

Found a few new bits today- absolute crackers but now I have to work out how to link them all up. I really want to use a section down from the crag that I've found. It will really sort the men from the boys, but beware, there is a nasty bit halfway down that should not be attempted on an old bike, the drop to the left is a straight down 30ft plummet onto the rocks below :shock: :shock:

A few pics to whet your collective whistles...

4026469536_4497233703_b.jpg

The calm before the storm..

4025717757_976facfb2c_b.jpg

Nice rooty singletrack to get you warmed up

4026472192_174f4bb937.jpg

Remember this bit, it's drop off time! Once past here you are into a steep, smooth wide section with plenty of chance for getting some serious air

4026473378_5f9663fe4c.jpg

Autumn Gold. Back at the bottom of the crag. Next up is a superb bit of singletrack that winds in and out of the trees. The branches are low in places so remember to duck. After this section we will spin back along the fire road and singletrack for lunch before getting stuck into the real meat of Thrunton- the killer single track!

4026475090_97ca7c5b4f_b.jpg

Traverse of the Dogs. Halfway down this absolute gem of a trail. The first section is technical with some slick rock and a skinny to master; after that its just like a pump track as it dips and weaves its way towards Death's Drop :twisted:

4025736385_9542c357a9_b.jpg

Dark...
4025726753_a1bd297165_b.jpg

Darker...
4025727335_f418a73fb1_b.jpg

Lights please! these three are from one of the classic Thrunton threesome- HP Sauce that starts off in the thinned out trees and just flows until your tyres are hanging off the rims, before sending you into Eye of the Needle and finally the dark and brooding Black Witch Rock. If you havn't got blisters on your hands at this point you never will :D

4026481232_025bc652a8_b.jpg

Into the light and one of the few reminders that you are on man made trails.

Hope you enjoyed the preview. I need to get cracking with the map and link all this shit together :cool:

Si

Si, you are not selling this very well to me :?

All this talk of 30 foot drops and tortuous technical stuff with rocks and big air time.

Some of us are not trials riders or black grade experts :shock:

Time to dig out the body armour i think :roll:

Further I do not have good lights and certainly have no intention of buying them so you'd better be exagerating the woodland gloom :shock:

Genuinely feared now :(

You'll be fine Velo, its all do-able apart from a few really steep bits. Most of the gnarly bits and the jumps have detours. I want everyone to enjoy themselves and get round in on piece so there will be plenty of warning for the nasty bits.

Gazz, we only scratched the surface on your last visit and will be going much further off piste this time- you saw Thrunton Lite in June, this time its going to be the epic stuff ;)

@Marcus- I wouldn't bother washing it either, its pretty mucky up there.

Si

Its all up the northside towards McCartneys cave and Callaly Castle. Not really night time friendly.

Oh man, I can almost feel the crunch of needles under tyre. Roll on Saturday, just 4 more days of office bollox. *sigh*

OK Si, I need specifics as regards when we are meeting and where we are meeting. Having never been to Thrunton you need to tell me the assembly point so I can get my maps out etc.

Looking forward to the idea of Thrunton but a little bit feared of the actual riding. Our discussion on the lower slopes of Inners about how similar the terrain was to Thrunton had me a wee bit worried at the time :roll:

PM me your Mobile in case I get lost on the day, I'll PM you mine.

Cheers

Velo

Back