Fluffy kittens

100 people work for 'the compan'y - 28 people belong to a 'the union', of the 28, 21 vote for a strike - 21 people go on strike, 79 people look on bemused as they walk past the demonstrators....

I dont read the papers, R4 and five live are about as near to news as I get.

I was refering to 'Carry on at your convinience' - the docu drama from the early '70's

Sid+James+The+Carry+On+Films.jpg

The problem is a generation's worth (at least) of shockingly bad management and political interference. As a result, the management doesn't trust the workforce, and the workforce neither believes nor trusts the management. In the end the Union is betting that the politicians will back down. And none of us trust Mandelson of course... :shock: But now there is a perfect storm because conventional postage is dying and there is little time to do much about it.

I was on an OU management course 15 years ago with coincidentally a bunch of guys who were supervisors at sorting offices. I remember that they told me that they were NOT ALLOWED to talk to a worker without a union official present...not even 'good morning' FFS.

With that kind of legacy no wonder it's in a mess.

brocklanders023":2gd6tuv1 said:
Another view from a different paper.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 02237.html

And another....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ers-strike

Who's telling the truth then? The Times, Guardian, or Independent??? Or does it depend if your left wing or right wing? :?

They are editorials though.....just someones opinion, just because they are journalists doesn't mean you have to believe it, it's just someone giving their viewpoint, it's what editorials are.

I would say, read as many sources as you can, find out as many facts as you can and then form your own opinion, I never believe any articles as they are always "someones" opinion, i try and extract facts.

BBC are one of the worst for twisting stories, it's not what they say, its the bits they leave out of stories, but the pretense of giving a balanced view point is awful, when read it seems balanced and impartial as generally they do not "take sides" but it's what they leave out, or comments at the end. They have been criticised in the past for not putting stories into historical context, and I say the main news has gone to "showy" in my opinion, as Charlie Brooker said, what happened to News readers? They are personalities now, listen to BBC world news on Radio 4 after 1am, that's how our news used to be, not like mainstream news, all to for the ratings and shock factor now.... rant over
:LOL:

I thought I'd chuck my hat into the ring: I work in the private sector and on a largely commission based pay structure. I have NO benefits, work fairly long hours and am expected to deliver at least £110k in profit to the company each year in order to keep my job. When I want a payrise I am told - work harder, for longer. If I don't like it, do you know what I can do...that's right, nothing other than find another job.

Why should postment expect to have ever improving salaries and working conditions that stay the same regardless of the world moving on around them? No one in my industry can expect a pay rise like clockwork every year; you get pay rises when you have done a job to warrant it. This round of strikes will only damage the Postmen's own futures. Already many companies are opting to move to a service that they can rely on, which will further decrease RM's market share and increase pressure to save money. Unfortunately the detailed reasons why they are striking are irrelevant because it is the public perception of them that counts and that perception is at an all time low.

Go to work, do what you are paid to do, be glad you have a job to complain about. ;)

legrandefromage":3rimmmj8 said:
100 people work for 'the compan'y - 28 people belong to a 'the union', of the 28, 21 vote for a strike - 21 people go on strike, 79 people look on bemused as they walk past the demonstrators....

I dont read the papers, R4 and five live are about as near to news as I get.

I was refering to 'Carry on at your convinience' - the docu drama from the early '70's

Sid+James+The+Carry+On+Films.jpg
i preffered "im allright jack...."
ps just spent 2 hours reading a whole bunch of different opinions on yahoo and frankly its a frikkin mess....we should have a hug a postie day"so long as they look like kate beckinsale :roll:

BarneyRubble":irvc3e8n said:
I thought I'd chuck my hat into the ring: I work in the private sector and on a largely commission based pay structure. I have NO benefits, work fairly long hours and am expected to deliver at least £110k in profit to the company each year in order to keep my job. When I want a payrise I am told - work harder, for longer. If I don't like it, do you know what I can do...that's right, nothing other than find another job.

Why should postment expect to have ever improving salaries and working conditions that stay the same regardless of the world moving on around them? No one in my industry can expect a pay rise like clockwork every year; you get pay rises when you have done a job to warrant it. This round of strikes will only damage the Postmen's own futures. Already many companies are opting to move to a service that they can rely on, which will further decrease RM's market share and increase pressure to save money. Unfortunately the detailed reasons why they are striking are irrelevant because it is the public perception of them that counts and that perception is at an all time low.

Go to work, do what you are paid to do, be glad you have a job to complain about. ;)

sorry correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are not that happy with the way your job pays and treats you (the exact same way my job worked before I was made redundant) and therefore you conclude that if that's what happens to you then why should the post men be any different- everyone should have to put up and shut up? Sorry if I'm reading you wrong BR but that sure is a negative outlook you have of the world and how it should work.

I to am amazed at the pretty right wing views expressed but thats thatchers Britain for you!

BarneyRubble":1gwxn9t7 said:
I work in the private sector and on a largely commission based pay structure. I have NO benefits, work fairly long hours and am expected to deliver at least £110k in profit to the company each year in order to keep my job. When I want a payrise I am told - work harder, for longer. If I don't like it, do you know what I can do...that's right, nothing other than find another job.
This was the same rhetoric that swayed a lot of people during the miners' strikes. "You have no rights. Why should they have rights?"

There's no reason we shouldn't all have the rights the postmen demand, but to get them we need solidarity - especially so when times are hard. That's why we need unions.

The alternative is a race to the bottom.

Back