Rules for bike building

thou shalt not have odd rims.
thou shalt not use neon colours on a race bike(bmx)
thou shalt not use branded finishing kit on the wrong bike(kore stem on a specialized-no!!!!!!)

I agree with the risers mainly because they just don't look right with a long stem on a short stem fair enough its not as bad but on a long one just seems wrong, and yes must be matching rims, no ones gonna complain about v brakes are they? lol

I have slept on this and here are the words of wisdom from this side of the fence...

1. Anodising should be 'themed', please don't make your bike look like a spillage at the smartie factory.
2. Risers. No bar ends please, no stems 100mm+.
3. Bar ends at the same angle as the stem please.
4. Project 2's are only really suitable for bikes with head angles 72 degrees+, stops you looking like your divinig water.
5. Amber wall tyres and black rims are the business. End of story!
6. No 4 arm cranks please.
7. Cable runs should be as short as possible.
8. Pace forks on Pace. Please.

That's it really, as long as it is tasteful and YOU like it why not...
;)

matching rims... bugger... lol!!!

muddy_fat.jpg

whats cooler...??? Syncros Hubs on Syncros rims with Sapain double butted spokes (rear), or Original Cross max?? (front)

Hmmmm, Rocky Mountains always look better with a smattering of Race Face and Syncros finishing kit......Bontragers need noodly looking steel stems (Salsa, Bontrager or similar) and Fats always seem to look good when they've been hit hard with the Ringle stick :D

In the end though if it's your bike use what bits you like......

Stu

Some good rules coming...keep it up (that's the teacher in me coming out - sorry :oops: )

Rocky Mountain must have raceface kit
steel orange hardtails must have pace forks too.

risers and barends is like socks and sandals isn't, it might be comfortable but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :!: :!: :!: :!:

Anodising must match.

Amazed no-one has come out with a Fat/Ringle rule yet... but then it is weekend and the internet was invented as a work avoidance thing wasn't it (a high tech equivalent to photocopying your arse really) ? :D

I respectfully disagree with the idea of matching bar-end angle to stem rise. I like to run 0-15 degree stem on my rides, but like my bar ends to have an extra 10 or so degrees. I am pretty sure this is what the pros did, so not just a case of I like so it must be good... ;)

"Anodising must match"

Mine doesn't, my hope hub came out of the factory in 91 with 2 tone red and blue (hub red, axle blue) - I'm continuing the theme with my rebuild.

Latest posts

Back