Harry Quinn Rebuild

This is a very inspiring thread for my renovation that hopefully will start sometime in the not too distant future.

One thing about the cantilever braze ons. It is not uncommon for old bikes suited to 27" wheels to have cantilever braze ons added so as to be able to use more modern and widely available 700c wheels. It's a bit unusual that your frame has massive clearence on the rear yet is really tight on the front, especially if it did have 27"ers, perhaps the fork wasn't originally intended for that frame?

Very nice bike and I can't wait to see the completed project!

Thanks gents

Yes i agree the differences in clearances are noticeable (two fingers at the rear approx one and half at the front :LOL:) , it did jump at me when i first got it home, there are some very unusual things on the bike as ned mentioned the forks are round track style,

the bike was bought new in 1980 (from the quinn shop on walton rd) which is puzzling as everything points to a 60's build,

am i right in thinking that the fork crown is nervex?

would having a 700c fork on a 27 frame cause the top tube to slope?

i'm taking it my local enameler (he used to enamel for quinn in the 70's and early 80s) when I have built it he should be able to date the paintwork pretty accurately which should shed some light on it

pistolpedro":xgwunf42 said:
i'm taking it my local enameler (he used to enamel for quinn in the 70's and early 80s) when I have built it he should be able to date the paintwork pretty accurately which should shed some light on it

C & G's?

Hi Ned, yes C&G finishes,

Had another look at the bike this morning, i definitely think it was designed for 700c wheels and canti brakes the clearences are close on the seatstay bridge and the chainstays, I dont think you could mount a caliper to the bridge its low and quite thin

C & G used to do all (well, virtually anyway) the Liverpool builders frames and a lot of the Manchester and Lancashire ones. I remember taking a frame over to their original premises which were 'dire' - and that's being polite! H & S Exec. would have a field day now.

Mind you they always did an excellent job and their hand written lettering was superb, especially the way they did the owners' names on the top tube.

Not had anything to do with them for many years though. What's their quality like now that they're in 'new' premises?

Heh heh,

don’t know to much about the old place I think it was more towards the city centre?

Not actually had any frames done there myself, I found it when I was restoring some 1950’s wire chairs and they enamelled them for me, done quite a few furniture jobs for me over the years now and they’ve always been great

They always seem to have a real mix of stuff hanging up, took my seatpost for blasting recently and had a good nosey over some new Hetchins they had just finished, detail was excellent could’nt fault it, I know they still do the lug lining on the premises although I’m not sure about the hand written lettering, they were telling me that they are seeing a lot more old bikes coming in now

More goodies arrived :D

CIMG7043.jpg

CIMG7038.jpg

CIMG7048.jpg

CIMG7046.jpg

CIMG7045.jpg

Bike is pretty much in bits at the minute taking the frame to have the headset fitted tomorrow, had the chainset, stem and bars and stripped just polishing them up at the minute :cry:

pistolpedro":aevj0lj6 said:
More goodies arrived :D

CIMG7048.jpg

Wow that cleaned up even better than I would have thought, what a bargain ;) Didn't realise it was for this Quinn, can't wait to see it finished :D

Hi Pete,

Bike is looking lovely. Not sure if you've heard, but Harry passed away last month, October 1st, aged 92. Gutted, I really wanted to get my Quinn finished and meet him.

Back