1989 Yeti FRO

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nicest Yeti.
I wouldn't like being the right chainstay in your bike. That ¿48? ring is tooooo close.
Again, nice...
Cheers,
Chus

Wow, what a great build, the devil as always is in the details. Sure it'll be on the front page via BoTM soon enough :D

Would the fork and stem originally have been decalled up? Or are you going stealth?

theboy":2o8gw32w said:
what year were those Neon taperlites around/available?

I remember getting my first set of white taperlites when they first came out in 89. Maybe, Christmas of that year I saw the yellow, orange, and pink appear. I believe early the next year I saw the hyperlite on a couple pro bikes at Shasta. By the 90 Mt Hood NORBA everyone was running around with taperlites. Mombat says tapelite 89, hyperlite 90.

chusma":2o8gw32w said:
I wouldn't like being the right chainstay in your bike.

Yeah. The 1st generation Bullseye BMX crank spindles are notoriously short compared to the options available on 2nd generation and up. And, the Yeti loop stay is notoriously wide. I've since dialed in a few extra c-hairs of clearance.

John":2o8gw32w said:
Would the fork and stem originally have been decalled up?

The "decaled" Accutrax came in '90. When I got my first Ultimate back in '89 the FTW had a couple regular down tube decals on it. A friend also bought a FRO from the factory and it came with a FTW stem with no decals. So, it was hit or miss decal-wise. The Moon Units are from '94, I did have "correct" black Diacompe hangers on there, but the Paul units look like they belong with those brakes. :oops:

kaos":2o8gw32w said:
1" headtube?

The way I think it was... '89 is the tweener. Pre-89 was 1". Post-89 has the chain stay gusset. Some of the Yeti gurus can probably add some good info here. :)

Kestonian":2o8gw32w said:
is that a round top tube rather than oval?

I think the 88 and earlier had the 1" steerer and round top tube. Cable guides were a different colored horse on the seat stays as well, I believe.

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone. :D

Museum quality bike! It is interesting to see that the cables were already along the side of the top tube in 1989. I have UK steel frames from around the same era with BB cables and internal rear brake cables.

Never had any strong feelings for the marque before but, this is one of my favs!

Really nice :cool: :cool: :cool: Lovin' the full turqoise :D
From memory Yeti started using 1 1/4" headtubes in '89.

Back