Wanting to give Road Cycling ago again! Bike reccomendations

m-trax

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok quick story to bore you all.

Love cycling on the road - normally just use my Mountain Biking. Back over 10 years ago picked myself up a cheap/old second hand raleigh for trying it on a proper road bike.

Went out a couple of times and was great fun, decided I was going to use it to commute the 10miles to work, first time I went out ended up in an Ambulance waking up to them chopping my favourite coat off me. (Don't know what happened and no-one told me)

So that was end of that :( Bike languished in the shed for a while then I gave it away through the freeads.

However just recently really fancy giving it another go.

I don't want to spend a fortune incase I really don't get on with it, and the only other thing is I never really got on with the gears on the down tube on the old one. I prefer a nice click to my gears.

I am about 5ft6" so I reckon a 54cm is about right for me.

Any reccomendations, or seen anything cheap for sale?

road bike

hi
if you are interested
i have a nice dawes giro road bike with shimano geaing/sti levers new tyres
it would be ideal getting back to road riding again
£210

regards malc
p.s photos available on request

At 5'6", I think you might want to go a tad smaller than 54cm. 52, perhaps. If you're buying 2nd hand/retro, and don't have a myriad of sizes available, try to go slightly too small, rather than slightly too big.

A well-fitting, comfortable road-bike can make all the difference between it languishing in the shed, and being put to proper use :).

Ok thanks for that on sizing info. Been scouring ebay to see what there is.

What size is Malc, could you send me links to some photos?

COMPLETE COLUMBUS FRAME/FORK ULTEGRA ROAD BIKE EXCELLENT

hi
have a look at the bike for sale now on retro bike and ctc forums
just search on the description
or look at the for sale and classified adds
malc

I'm a shade taller than you and I ride a 50cm. The big issue to be careful about is the frame length.

For a really serviceable do-anything road bike the Giant SCR is hard to beat. A pal of mine has one, he commutes 25 miles daily and also ride a century with us last Sunday.

It has space for mudguards in winter. Fantastic machine.

Back