BoTM October 2009 - Nominations please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fingers":6aq08p6a said:
CTK":6aq08p6a said:
I have recently put this together...
An Orange C16 frame with Argos done track ends.
Shortly to be added to Readers Bikes.

Thats really nice...

(but my p7 is better ;) )

Small font, a wink... are you sure yours is better?

Some great bikes here as usual. Can't believe the scrutineering being applied though :LOL:

My 2p about every component on the bike having to be vintage? As long as the frame is, I wouln't be bothered about the rest. I mean, some of these tyres look remarkably modern but so what?

I actually like the modern kit being retrofitted to old stuff. I'd rather see a Bonty on discs or an old, battered and rusty Raleigh from 1973 rocking 2010 TdF carbon kit than something looking like "Santa just found Timmy's 1981 Xmas present"...

It's the frame that has the character for me.

Did someone mutter "BAN"?...

J i m s t e r":37wlq28r said:
Some great bikes here as usual. Can't believe the scrutineering being applied though :LOL:

My 2p about every component on the bike having to be vintage? As long as the frame is, I wouln't be bothered about the rest. I mean, some of these tyres look remarkably modern but so what?

I actually like the modern kit being retrofitted to old stuff. I'd rather see a Bonty on discs or an old, battered and rusty Raleigh from 1973 rocking 2010 TdF carbon kit than something looking like "Santa just found Timmy's 1981 Xmas present"...

Ooops, did you hear that; I could've sworn I merely thought it :oops:

I don't think anyone is taking it super seriously; it's just, if you are going to do a contest for retrobike of the month, why not do it right. Installing all modern kit on an older frame is great for riding, but sort of defeats the purpose of what's being done here.

meh.

Maybe it's not to late to another picture...
I've seen another photos, and I think my bike has no chances, but live once :)

scott1.jpg

details ;)

scott2.jpg

scott4.jpg

Jimster I couldn't agree more.......
Had a few too many tonight so even if I was able to articulate myself I probably couldn't have put it better. Yes, this is Retrobike but surely the frame is what any bike is about?
Years ago people bought bikes and then upgraded with, dare I say it, newer and better "bits", but at the heart of the bike was the frame.

Some gorgeous bikes as usual and I would be proud to own any one of them. Bring on the poll.

Jon
Czech lager and internet forums don't mix :D

1st effort

Well, this is my first stab at BoTM (& maybe last!).

This bike has been a total labour of love. My 1st proper MTB bought when i was 14, frame sat in my dad's shed for 10yrs+ after drive-side chainstay drop-out snapped (what? you're not supposed to jump xc bikes?.... [badly] ;) )

I apologise for the crappy photos. I really wanted to get out after work this evening & get some decent ones down the woods but i had to drink beer so these will have to suffice for now.

If i asked really nicely, would i please be able to swap these photos tomorrow night after i've taken some better ones> You really need to be able to appreciate the colours here with the new wheels i've bought for it.... sunset rims, lovely!
[edit, photos swapped. i hope no-one minds!]

These just don't do her justice... there's some better pics in the build thread.

P1010713.jpg

P1010712.jpg

Oh, & sorry for the modern pedals :oops:

GoldenEraMTB":uokodlbv said:
J i m s t e r":uokodlbv said:

Ooops, did you hear that; I could've sworn I merely thought it :oops:

I don't think anyone is taking it super seriously; it's just, if you are going to do a contest for retrobike of the month, why not do it right. Installing all modern kit on an older frame is great for riding, but sort of defeats the purpose of what's being done here.

meh.

What is being done here? Keeping the old stuff alive, I thought? What better way than to show that old frames can still be relevant and look cool 10, 20 years + years after they were made?

And ultimately, they are for riding, not hanging on a wall until a correct-year Girvin Flexstem comes along or some authentically-patina'd yellowing cable turns up on ebay costing more than a golden bucket full of diamonds :LOL:

If you want ornaments, stones and photo frames are a lot easier to polish and carry around. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back