Special Yeti ASR-SL 2002

Kneedowndean

Retro Guru
Well, its taken me nearly two years to build this bike. Found it for sale over on Yetifan website, no price. So contacted the guy stateside and asked him how much he wanted, he said 400, so I had a think - '£400?? Could probably stretch to that'. Turned out it was $400! And that was when it was worth £200. So a deal was done.

Anyway, turns it was specially built for a Yeti employee(who is still there), hence the strange Frame number. Got the thing apart, had lots of help from Bromley bikes(making me an upgraded dogbone with bearings) and Pace(for the fitting kit to make the Carbon shock work). Built up slowly with ebay finds.

Rode it for the first time today round the gardens and loved it. It feels massive in comparison to the Hei Hei, so much higher up with 26" bars. But the suspension is soooo plush. Cant wait to get it down to the park

Frame: 2002/2003 Yeti ASR-SL 2595g(including DT Swiss Carbon Shock)
Fork: Pace RC39 Type C 1359g
Headset: Chris King 123g
Stem: Thomson X4 100mm 168g
Handlebar: Syncros Carbon Risers 170g
Grips: Odi Attack 60g

Brakes: Avid Juicy Ultimate 760g(including cables)
Brake Cables: Goodridge Braided

Shifters: SRAM XO Gripshift 199g
Front Derailleur: M960 XTR 149g
Rear Derailleur: SRAM XO Medium Cage 194g
Derailleur Cables: Goretex Ride On 80g
Cassette: SRAM 273g
Chain: SRAM 260g
Cranks: Extralite E-Bones 623g(including BB and rings)
Crank Bolts: Extralite Titanium
Chainrings: Extralite
Chainring bolts: Extralite
Bottom Bracket: Extralite
Pedals: XTR SPD 348g

Hub Skewers: ControlTech Carbon 69g
Rims: DT Swiss 4.1D FRONT: 686g REAR:781g
Hubs: Tune King/Kong Disc
Nipples:
Spokes: DT Aerolite Black
Tyres: Continental Race King 2.2 1034g(pr)
Tubes: Continental MTB Lite 260g(pr)

Saddle: Yeti Ti 219g
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 232g
Seatpost Binder: Hope (included in Frame)

Weight: Approx. 24lbs

Attachments

• P1010437.JPG
    P1010437.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,737
  • P1020962.JPG
    P1020962.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 3,737
  • P1020963.JPG
    P1020963.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 3,737
Very nice indeed :cool: like the BB shell 'code' :!:

You've obviously spent a fair amount on lightweight kit.

Is there much difference between this and the full carbon frame?

Cheers

Well to be honest the only thing I can compare this too is my Proflex Beast and Kona Hei Hei, and if all modern suspension bikes are like this I've been missing out! Its so plush, yet still the whole thing is lightweight and stiff.

Most of the parts are ebay and forum finds, and I would estimate the whole thing probably cost just over £1000 to build over two years. But I had some real bargains, so its all top end kit, in the end pretty pleased with the cost.

Hoping to get out off road on it later in the week so I'll be sending a report then.

Kneedowndean":3v3wpybm said:
Well to be honest the only thing I can compare this too is my Proflex Beast and Kona Hei Hei, and if all modern suspension bikes are like this I've been missing out! Its so plush, yet still the whole thing is lightweight and stiff.

Most of the parts are ebay and forum finds, and I would estimate the whole thing probably cost just over £1000 to build over two years. But I had some real bargains, so its all top end kit, in the end pretty pleased with the cost.

Hoping to get out off road on it later in the week so I'll be sending a report then.

I think thats a great build price - you must have had some bargains :shock: especially on the Extralite kit, that stuff is expensive.

The black with the yeti 'turquoise'? looks great :)

That is a sweet build!

Do you know how much the frame weighs? With all those light weight parts you should be coming in below 22 lbs.

Component weights updated on the first post. Everything was weighed on my trusty Tesco scales.

You're right in saying that the Extralite stuff is silly money, but I had some real bargains. I got the cranks from WeightWeenies from an American chap who couldn't get them to work on his bike so I bought them off him for £100 posted, and all they needed was a small spacer from Extralite.

Wheels perhaps my most expensive but, around £350 but considering the quality thats not too bad.

I think the key was that I was in no rush to finish the project and waited for the right components at the right price to come along.

Back