New project: Vicini 1987 / new pics december 14th. (page 2)

SStumpjump

Devout Dirtbag
Found this old Vicini Colombus Cromor 1987 frame.
I used to have a similar frame in my early teens, maybe a 1985 model, but very similar except from the paintjob.

Plans are a modern build-up, with retro look. This bike in meant to be used on sunny days, also for local races etc. So function dictates a new-ish Shimano Dura-Ace 10 speed setup, but with downtube shifters, Mavic Reflex rims with Hutchinson tubulars. Dura-Ace seatpost, classic handlebars and Ritchey WCS cranks.
Paint is probably going to be silver w. original chrome rear and fork. A thin gold line to surround the lugs.

Should be finished sometime before spring... :)

The original paint is coming off all over the place (not visible on pic), and rust is spreading from the bottom bracket area, so a full strip down is nescessary. :roll:

vicini.jpg

vicini4.jpg

vicini1.jpg

vicini2.jpg

vicini3.jpg

Hope you like!

That will be lovely when it's done. Are you repainting it in the same colours/style?

Vicini

Lovely frame
I agree with the above, that paintjob would look great restored.
Keep us posted

Jamie

Hmmm....

Rethinking my plans a little... To begin with, I'll try and carefully clean up the original paint, and touch it up where needed.
Could be good fun racing a real 'sleeper', old frame with original paint running modern DA 10-speed with downtube shifters.

That way I should be out on the bike only a few minutes after my brake levers arrive (waiting for the new SRAM 500 levers). :cool:
Weight should land around 9,0 kgs complete.

Specs:

Frame: Vicini Columbus Cromor 1987 57 cm

Fork: Vicini

Headset: Shimano Dura-Ace
Stem: Shimano Dura-Ace 120 mm quill
Handlebar: Sakae 42 cm classic bend
Bar Tape: Ritchey

Brake Levers: Shimano BL-6200
Brake Calipers: Shimano Tiagra
Brake Pads: Ultegra cartridge pads
Brake Cables: Shimano

Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace 7800 downtube 10-speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 10-speed
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 10-speed
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Ritchey WCS Compact
Chainrings: Ritchey 50/39
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra Octalink
Pedals: Mavic Avenir

Rims: Mavic Reflex 32 hole silver
Hubs: Connect C9X 32 hole
Hub Skewers: TBD
Nipples: DT aluminum
Spokes: Ritchey Logic 1.8/1.5 w. al. nipples
Tyres: Hutchinson Tempo 1 tubulars

Saddle: TBD
Seatpost: Shimano Dura-Ace 27.0
Seatpost Bolt: Campagnolo

Weight: around 9 kgs/20 lbs

Ulrich

Bike Toyz... I thought that looked like Jens in the background. Say "Hi" from Dave.

His Assos cup is still lying around at Egedesø - and I've still got his Mavic rear mech....

If any jobs come up, give me a shout.

Hi Dave!

Yes sir!

I wondered a few times who it was from Denmark, living in Odense and working with bikes... I will kick Jens and tell him about his cup! :D

I will keep it in mind, and feel free to contact Jens or me, if there's anything we can do.

Cheers,
Ulrich

So, now I have tried to build it up, just to get an idea of what this bike is like. The black Ksyrium SL wheels are not mine, just to keep the frame off the ground... ;)

The size feels right on, the weight feels pretty low, which surprises me a bit.

I am still considering if I should repaint it, as the paint is really not very nice anymore. But on the other hand, with a bit of touching up, it might become a decent looking bike again. A true 'sleeper'. Mostly modern-ish DA 10-speed kit for function, but with a retro feel to it.

My plan was to build a set of Mavic Reflex tubular rims on a decent hubset, with light spokes. Again for a classic look. But seeing the new Mavics on the bike, actually made me consider getting a set of silver Ksyrium Elites.... Hmmmm. :roll:

Will get some white cable outers, white handlebar tape, and probably a more classic saddle.

vicini6.jpg

Thanks a lot, it's a size 57 cm. It is not visible is these poor quality pictures, but the white paint is actually a wild pearlescent white with a purple-ish effect.

Looks crazy in the right light. :cool:

Back