Project No. 6: Alpinestars Cro-Mega SS

Fork looks great. That's a super tidy job they did. Really like how this is shaping up, can't wait to see the finished build pictures.

cool project. i'm impressed with the turnaround on the forks but less so with the way they hod you to randsom on the warranty. if you dont mind me asking what was the cost to get the fork done?

i was thinking about single speed racing the other day, not that i am in anyt state to race, just thinking what is the best option for gearing.

in the end i figured races are won and lost on the climbs so you would need to know the course first.

i run 36/16 but find that a bit much for the steeper hills round here but that is probably more my fitness

Interesting project. I have to say I'm not sold on the idea of retrofitting disc mounts to old forks that were never designed to have them - while they're chunky-looking beasts I don't know how much meat there is in the tubing near the dropout, and there'll be quite a lot of of load trying to force the new mount into the fork leg. Just concerned that the wall thickness of the tubing isn't enough to take it. That said, I doubt it'd snap without warning, but I'd be keeping an eye on it :)

Forks cost £65, which includes next day delivery. Which is quite a lot but the quality appears to be first rate. To have them painted at Bob Jacksons is an additional £30.

As for retrospectively fitting disc mounts to old forks I don't see any issues with it tbh. Old school steel forks, especially these alpinestars ones are extremely robust. When you consider the forces running through the crown and upper legs when running good canti/v-brakes or Maguras I'd consider discs to probably be more friendly to them.

I'm looking forward to building this now. Should be interesting to try this singlespeed stuff. Going with 32/18 gearing to start with and then go from there.

Old school steel forks, especially these alpinestars ones are extremely robust. When you consider the forces running through the crown and upper legs when running good canti/v-brakes or Maguras I'd consider discs to probably be more friendly to them.

It's entirely different loads, though. Plenty of old fork legs are thick at the top, as far as the bosses, and then get thinner. I'm not saying that it's guaranteed not to work, just that I'd keep an eye on it.

Certainly a tidy job, look forward to seeing the finished bike :cool:

Prototype Build

Started to build it up in prototype form, I want to give this a good trial before I respray and build up properly.

Managed to fit the forks, wheels, tyres, disc brakes, some of the drivetrain and controls.

Jobs still to do include fitting the chain, grips and bar ends. Also i need to shorten the brake hoses. Here's a few pics:-

- Controls:

2009_1016bikes0017.jpg

2009_1016bikes0009.jpg

- Disc Brakes:

2009_1016bikes0011.jpg

2009_1016bikes0007.jpg

2009_1016bikes0008.jpg

- Drivetrain

2009_1016bikes0012.jpg

2009_1016bikes0013.jpg

2009_1016bikes0014.jpg

Built up, but by no means finished.

Haven't gone with barends at this time as I'm concerned with mixing them with the carbon bars. I have however got a NOS set of Scott AT-4 Pro bars/barends on route from Singapore (thanks to Jeff once more), a set of bars I've always wanted to own but never really had anything to put them on. Think i'll go with bar tape on these instead of grips also.

Sadly due to ill health I haven't managed to ride it yet. Hopefully later this week I can start riding again and have a blast on it.

Here's some pictures:

2009_1028ss0020.jpg

2009_1028ss0015.jpg

2009_1028ss0001.jpg

2009_1028ss0007.jpg

2009_1028ss0017.jpg

2009_1028ss0011.jpg

2009_1028ss0016.jpg

2009_1028ss0005.jpg

2009_1028ss0006.jpg

cool

I doubt those forks will even notice a disk brake, far less mechnical tooing and frowing than using a set of cantilevers

Back