Pedersens

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Anyone know anything about Pedersen SE brakes...like what year are these???

Picked these up for £1.99 and I'm guessing these are pre-licencing to Scott and Sun Tour - I seem to have acquired one of each of 4 types to date, when I'm only trying to get a matching pair!

Neil

Attachments

• 869f_1.JPG.jpg
    869f_1.JPG.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,038
se stands for self energising i recall,thihk it was the power of the whell turning helped to apply pressure on the pads,or somthing like that.

Worked on a helix coil system, although the ones you've got are the fronts which didn't have that on them, IIRC the helix was only used on the rear as they had a problem using it on the front (if you had a ding in your rim and the brake caught it, it would drag your brake in an stop you quick sharp!)

Scott Pedersen SE

Those are the best canti's you can get. You put the red Scott Matthauser pads on those brakes and look out...the faster you go the better they work. I used to use them for downhilling. But you have to put a booster on because the helix coil will generally just spread your brake bosses, thus negating the advantage. As they are dragged outward by rim friction, they wedge on tighter...faster you go and harder you pull, the better they work...real rim-crushers. PS SE = self-energizing

Fronts weren't truely self energising like the rears cos of the coil action was a bit too harsh and the above mentioned problem, although you never know , they may have made the originals (like your ones) with a true SE action and then removed it from later ones because of the problems!

SE brakes

Well, honestly, I have never seen them packaged up like that. My two kinds were Scott SE's, black clunky-looking cylindres with an aluminum splined canti-body for the brake pad. The others were Suntour, not as servicable, but smaller, lighter and slicker-looking by far. The fronts cam towards each other as they are rim-pulled outward & away from the fork bosses, and the rears cam inward from an already extended postion as they are dragged in towards the bosses. You might be able to see them as they operate by moving the barrels by hand but usually you have to mount them to see the action working...just don't remove them from a bike until you are sure the centre helixed sleeve is free and rotating or you will have a brake in two pieces and springs falling around. If they don't cam as the cylindres move up and down the heilx sleeve, they aren't "SE" brakes. Hope this helps...will post a photo in June.

i too had the scott se's and the fronts definitely had the same helical motion as the rears (in the opposite direction of course):

(as previously described) as the caliper pivots around the post toward the rim, it also moves parallel to the post in the direction of rim travel (into the frame in the rear, away from the fork in front). the idea being that the lateral force exerted on the pad by rim rotation is converted into extra caliper rotation force.

i would dispute the 'best canti ever' claim...i didn't care for them at all. they were finicky to set up (and i wrenched on bikes professionally at the time), required a lot of maintenance, and were very hard to modulate (just on & off it seemed). i ditched them 15 years ago for magura hs-22's that i still run today.

$0.02,

dookie

Ah well, I'm wrong, obviously just the later ones and the Suntour ones where they dropped it on the front... There's some Scott Mathauser brake pads on ebay.co.uk at the mo that would go a treat with those, squealtastic!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back