A follow-on to my intro...1986 Cannondale SM700 24/26

N10S

Dirt Disciple
One of the guys at Fatcogs (Melvin)turned-me onto this site earlier todayand mentioned you guys might like to see pics of my wild looking SM700 Cannondale. This particular bike is fitted with a 1-piece Grove Innovations Hammerhead bar/stem combo, and Grove steel unicrown fork. It has a few incorrect parts like the shimano pedals and the uglified Bianchi comfort saddle, but overall its a very correct bike with all Suntour XC components, Diacomp 286 levers, and Cannondale/sun rims laced to XC hubs. 15spd with no indexing, and the excellent reverse spring XC FD. It even has the original tires(pretty dry but rideable), and the yellow cannodale waterbottle cage.

Although the base finish is the original forest green paint with yellow cannondale ghost lettering on the top-tube, it was then treated to a crazy yellow spatter paint job, and an ugly headtube Roskopf Mojo face. Here is a link to a thread on MTBR regarding this bike by the previous owner. It traces abit of its history and the shop it came out of years ago.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204593

Here are a few pics. Yes its pretty crazy looking but its old so give it a break ok? Absolutely no chain suck grindage on this frame!

P1020628.jpg

P1020627.jpg

P1020626.jpg

P1020625.jpg

P1020624.jpg

P1020623.jpg

P1020622.jpg

P1020632.jpg

P1020631.jpg

P1020630.jpg

P1020629.jpg

Hi N10S,

Welcome overhere! :)

I reread the topic on your bike on the MTBR VRC forums. It has a interesting story on it ...and of course it looks very Cool. The Grove link makes it even Cooler. I think you did great by acquiring it.

I got a link through 24pouces to this site =>

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/

The person behind it is working on a great Cannondale source. He pretty sure will welcome your SM700 too. Mine is already featured :cool:

knobby":1d8h4uaj said:
Really nice bike! Ooozing character, but get a cable end cover on that rear deraileur cable quick. :)

Yeah...that frayed end stands-out doesn't it! I took those pics right after getting the bike and re-assembling it. The bike is a lot cleaner and the cable end issue resolved already. You are seeing the bike as it came delivered... . :)

Elev12k":ee79ogo3 said:
Hi N10S,

Welcome overhere! :)

I reread the topic on your bike on the MTBR VRC forums. It has a interesting story on it ...and of course it looks very Cool. The Grove link makes it even Cooler. I think you did great by acquiring it.

I got a link through 24pouces to this site =>

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/

The person behind it is working on a great Cannondale source. He pretty sure will welcome your SM700 too. Mine is already featured :cool:

Thanks for the additional spec. information, and the link to the Cannondale guy as well! Referencing that thread over on mtbr, the bike still has the bike shop sticker that it came out of as discussed in that thread.Its kind of neat to link the origins of a specific bike to a shop and group of guys. The Grove Hammerhead and unicrown fork really provides a beefy precise feeling front end. I actually passed on a Suntour XC stem a while back, because I figure at this point the Grove parts are a part of this bikes history and make as much sense as the stock pieces on a spatter paint-job bike.

I ride it on short jaunts down when I am working down in New Mexico and I get some pretty funny stares. Thankfully I have a yellow helmet to help me blend in with the bike!

Thanks for the comments folks it is appreciated!

I love these so old cannondale !
After the SM 900 of Elev12k, the sheffield's bike, and my sm600, what a so prehistorical collection! :shock: :shock: :cool: :cool:
Do you ride them?
The painting is very funny. I thought that it was not the original painting, but when I saw "cannondale" wrote with an helvetica typography, there's no doubt : you have the real "Lucy" of mtb cannondale ! :D :D :D

Thats very odd and uber cool!
What year is she? Loving the nice wide flat rims and the quirky bar/stem combo, love it! :cool:

Back