1993 Kona Explosif - Decals Fitted (P.2)

DoctorRad":3kz71lk4 said:
XT Thumbshifters with an 8-speed cassette? Not sure they'd shift all that well. Garage Queen or Rider?

That combo works perfectly, I had a bike running it in 1994 and still have one today. It shifts just fine.

Tallpaul":1fz8kvo4 said:
DoctorRad":1fz8kvo4 said:
XT Thumbshifters with an 8-speed cassette? Not sure they'd shift all that well. Garage Queen or Rider?

That combo works perfectly, I had a bike running it in 1994 and still have one today. It shifts just fine.

Interesting, given that the cassette spacing is different...

DoctorRad":3ls3z3cq said:
Tallpaul":3ls3z3cq said:
DoctorRad":3ls3z3cq said:

Interesting, given that the cassette spacing is different...

I thought that the XT thumbshifters had 6 clicks for 7 speed plus the extra 1 click for 8 speed compatability, Shimano knowing that it would be coming out. Believe it's the 9 speed where the spacing changes.

tiboltrider123":xjqcjbn7 said:
I thought that the XT thumbshifters had 6 clicks for 7 speed plus the extra 1 click for 8 speed compatability, Shimano knowing that it would be coming out. Believe it's the 9 speed where the spacing changes.

Shimano 7, 8 and 9-speed all have different spacing:

http://pages.citebite.com/w1d5m8c1t5ctw

The difference between 7 and 8 speed is only 0.2mm per cog, so if you set things up to work well in the middle of the block, your Shimano floating top jockey should take up the slack at the extremes.

Interesting that SunTour cassettes had two different spacings on the same block, something I didn't know. Probably why using their 8-speed thumbshifters with a Shimano mech works fine with both 7 and 8 speed SRAM / Shimano cassettes.

I told you this was a slow burner...

The BB was an utter pig to remove, big thanks to Doug (Kase1983) and his Dad for their help! ;)

Received the final proof for the decals from Gil, once I've got these in hand I can book it in for a respray :D

93ExplosifPaul.jpg

Back