Fluffy kittens

Aahhh, the old 'modernisation' word. It's amazing how much those in charge can chuck under this banner. From my experiance I can tell you there's nothing modern about modernisation. In my line of work it usually means going back to conditions workers have had to fight to improve for decades. :evil: For our mob that word means 'cuts' and has nothing to do with improving either the conditions of the workers or the service we provide.

As with any industrial action, you'll have workers that agree and workers that don't. The majority that voted wanted to take action. The Posties round your way can decide to work or not.

My current postie, and my old postie at the time of the last action didn't agree with any action and just wanted to get on with his job. They were in completly differetnt areas as i've moved since then. I get the feeling it is a small group of active union memebers who are on the case. I still have no clear idea what these latest strike actions are about :?

RM is shockingly inconsistent at the best of times.

Striking is playing with fire... Cant do it in my profession, I have no sympathy to disrupting the public's lives.

One day soon the DHL's, TNT's and Interlinks of this world will get together to deliver letters on the cheap...

I thought it was just the cops at OCP that went on strike. Well, all apart from Murphy, Lewis and Reed.

Easy_Rider":w6lsl6au said:
My current postie, and my old postie at the time of the last action didn't agree with any action and just wanted to get on with his job. They were in completly differetnt areas as i've moved since then. I get the feeling it is a small group of active union memebers who are on the case. I still have no clear idea what these latest strike actions are about :?

How can it be a small group within the Union? All members will have been balloted and the result was a majority decision to take industrial action. Those that didn't vote can't really complain when the result goes against them.

brocklanders023":168sqzs3 said:
Easy_Rider":168sqzs3 said:

How can it be a small group within the Union? All members will have been balloted and the result was a majority decision to take industrial action. Those that didn't vote can't really complain when the result goes against them.

Well 60% either didn't vote or voted "no". What i was trying to say is there will be a small group of very active union members who lobbied for a yes vote within the union, this goes without saying. But i think there were many who voted yes without really understanding what its all about (like me :? :LOL: ) but voted because "x" gave a good argument, but there probably wasn't a "y" to say otherwise.

The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that if the RM is privatised, split up or whatever, we will all end up paying more for a worse service. Assuming this is actually true, surely this underlines the real problem with the RM?

I heard some Posties on the radio the other day, they didn't even know why they were striking. They were throwing around ridiculous numbers relating to competition that simply weren't true, one claimed RM only delivers 5% of small packets sent in the UK :roll:

I understand why the average postie is angry and frustrated, I see that they feel backed in to a corner and that strike is their only option. I wouldn't want to give up my final salary pension, I'd be angry if my employer had consistently failed to make the company more competitive despite me seeming to work harder and harder to tighter margins.

To the poster who says we shouldn't believe the press, what do you make of this article? If you know something I don't I be pleased to here it :)

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 869456.ece

I have read the article and it's what I'd expect from the times. Well writen, covers most of the base's, and has a little dig towards Labour and the left. Every paper has a political bias so no political story will ever be 100% fact. That's my point.

Not a postie myself, but married to one... this strike is nothing but typical thuggish union idiocy. Posties are paid pretty well for the type of work they do and their conditions are hardly awful - I don't hear many complaining, anyway.

More of the mail needs to be sorted by machine at major mail centres and that will involve reducing the number of employees a bit - that kind of automation has had to be introduced in most industries for generations and at least this will improve the efficiency of the business, unlike pointless strike action which has already cost the business major customers and public goodwill.

High time the unions were disbanded and their leaders prosecuted for terminally botching up yet another bit of British industry...

Back