ISIS Crank Related Question

stu

jammy git
Hi Guys,

The ISIS bottom bracket has died on my Kaboom so it needs to be replaced, the bolt holding the crank on the driveside won't budge :( just wanna check if the bolt is to be loosened clockwise or anti-clockwise (i.e is it the same as square taper or different), the engineers at work are gonna give it the monkey treatment ;)

Next job is to remove an old Dicta freewheel from the rear hub, aaarrrggh!

Stu

all anti clockwise.Can be a sod to undo,but remember to remove the washer before using a crank extractor.I have an Isis crank extractor if you need one.
Freewheels,before, if they are scrap,have unscrewed them to bits and then held the remaining centre part in a vice and then undone it.

its ironic how most external bearing BBs dont actually last as long as the apparently outdated square taper un72

Even my new bike builds have taper bottom brackets.Did try isis and others and got expensive keep fitting new ones every 6 months.
scant":zwbhdo3b said:
its ironic how most external bearing BBs dont actually last as long as the apparently outdated square taper un72

thrustyjust":2ujtc2jw said:
Even my new bike builds have taper bottom brackets.Did try isis and others and got expensive keep fitting new ones every 6 months

ditto that! although my case is probs more of what I can scab for free ;)

scant":1muj8o4y said:

Noting that you say most, one of my external XTR bb has been in for 3 years now and is still going strong. I never got a UN72 to last that long.

However there are some other BBs both external and ISIS (Raceface etc) that barely last 6 months of normal riding. so in that case the UN72 seems a real winner :D

theres a good reason why M960 was re-worked after such a short time period into M970. namely that the seals were rubbish (numerous friends to testify to this). given the large price difference again its amusing that UN72 is a better BB, espically as the entire essence of external BBs is supposed to be lengthning BB life by placing the bearings further apart.

I wish more companys could be more like chris king & phil wood. IE rather than rush inferior products to the market place just to make sales, give a lengthy testing period until the product is properly fit for use.

I'm told that some of new newest raceface ISIS BBs have v.good life expectancy. I'm not against the outward bearing concept; I just want to see a better useable solution. I guess I'm also sticking to square taper as the new standard also seems to have adopted 4bolt instead of 5bolt microdrive that doesnt allow for my favoured 20 & 30T chainrings.... anyone whos ridden the first climb of the black mountains killer loop or at high alltitude will appreciate that :)

Latest posts

Back