Whats this?

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My friend has this frame any idea what it is? Track type dropouts but drilled for brakes, has pump pegs & M/G eyes...Thought to be late 40's.

oldie3.jpg

oldie.jpg

oldie1.jpg

oldie2.jpg

oldie4.jpg

I had that fork crown on my JRJ which was early '50s. The rear ends are quite distinctive with the seat stays 'flaring' into the dropouts.

I'd agree on mid late 40's due to position of mudguard mounts and 'pencil' -ish rear stays, looks decent quality, headclips still in use in 1947, my Raleigh Lenton Clubman still has it's original one fitted!
These are commonly known as path/track frames or derivations of that...funds were more limited so you'd basically have a 'track' frame fitted with mudguard eyes so you ride it all year round, common to ride to track meeting on clinchers and fit tubulars carried on bike then race having first removed brakes and mudguards, refit after race and ride home!

Thanks for the the replies guys.

Is JRJ early Bob Jaackson, Google doesn't give me much on it. Have you got any pics of your old bike? (big ask I know)

Path/Track makes so much sense thanks for that, I found this advert which explains the concept:

grubb3.jpg

I have forwarded this info on to my friend. Anymore thoughts are very much appreciated.

Yes, JRJ stands for John Robert Jackson I believe, hence the 'Bob' later on.

It is definitely a 'Road Path' style frame having pump pegs, mudguard eyes etc. with the track ends and here is my old JRJ with a handpainted finish by me when I was nobbut a lad!

That's me behind with the jeans and combat jacket, 'de rigeur' wear for the young cyclist in the '60's!

Attachments

• JRJ.April65.A.jpg
    JRJ.April65.A.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 614
Wow! Thanks very much for posting that Ned thats a fantastic picture.

It's quite hard to see the dropouts but they do look similar so it's looking to be a possibility. Also the owner has informed me that the owner prior to him got it from a man in Manchester, which isn't a million miles from Leeds. I've written to Bob Jackson to see if they can confirm that it is one of theirs although obviously after all this time it may be impossible to tell, we'll see what they say, if indeed they say anything at all...

I have a picture of the serial number (added above) which is 23450.

Oh and when I've restored my 1955 Gillot I'll be sure to adorn myself in jeans and combat jacket to complete the picture :)

Bob Jackson sent me this reply:

Sorry but after discussing the photo's with the Guys in the factory we cannot tell if this is one of our frames or not. The frame number (if that is what it is) is way to high for it to be a JRJ. We are on the 27000's now so 23450 would only have been a few year ago.

Which I thought was very good of them to take the time to investigate.

The frame number of 23450 does seem very high if it is an ascending count. It makes me wonder if it is more likely to be 234 - 1950?

Tel":1k2ahvac said:
The frame number of 23450 does seem very high if it is an ascending count. It makes me wonder if it is more likely to be 234 - 1950?

That makes sense. I was going to suggest it myself. Lots of builders used these design lugs but it's the way the seat stays fit into the fork ends that is quite characteristic. A bit more research needed!

Good of BJ's to respend. I once asked them - many years ago - about my JRJ and they weren't in the least interested. But that was when old bikes were thrown away rather than being revered!

Back