2001 Kona Kilauea now with Z2s as I'm keeping it :)

Forks look good on that

Agree with the above, flipping the stem over to get a flatter ride definately give a more 'retro' ride & look :D

Flipping the stem would just make it look silly as it would be negative rise. Don't remember any retro bikes using negative rise (other than some very small framed bikes). It's either Zero or +ve rise.

I flipped this stem because I thought I would prefer the riding position, and I didn't care if it looked a bit silly (although my friend obviously wasn't impressed), but later I put it back the right way round and actually preferred the position that way. And it looked better of course.

The fact is that retro bikes were too low at the front for comfort.

Attachments

• 98 Explosif and calf.jpg
    98 Explosif and calf.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,372
re:

FluffyChicken":l8sxx1km said:
Flipping the stem would just make it look silly as it would be negative rise. Don't remember any retro bikes using negative rise (other than some very small framed bikes). It's either Zero or +ve rise.

all racers I've known have been riding negative stems. it's like shaving your legs you just do it!

FluffyChicken":nss6oosl said:

I've got a 5deg stem on my Charge which I flipped and it totally changed the ride of the bike for the better....doesn't look silly either

I suppose it depends wether you like being upright and far away from the wheel or not or pinned

Jones":1uzc66yf said:
Well I decided today I'm keeping it :roll: :LOL: its quite a practical winter trail centre bike that I'm not going to be precious about ;)

So I've put some Z2s on it and I think thats it done ( apart from the front mech cable ) :LOL:
pedals could help too :p

Nice bike :) i want to get me a retro build at some point, maybe an orange p7 or something

Back