1992 Saracen Kili Racer [Big picture update - Jan 2010]

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
September 2009

After deciding I had to have an early 90's e-stay I managed to get hold of this frameset a few weeks ago from Kaiser (thank you).
I've finally got around to building it up for some riding.

In terms of components I've tried to keep it as close to the period correct and original factory spec as possible with M550 LX mechs and M650 DX cranks, brakes and shifters.
I also got hold of some Tioga Farmer John's Cousins from Chris667 (thanks also) to complete the 1992 skinwall aesthetic. Plus they are still a good set of tyres IMO.
The seatpost and shim are a temporary measure until I find something more appropriate in 30.2mm flavour. The bars are also modern Ritcheys as I wouldn't trust a second-hand set of the originally specced 140 gram 'Ritchey Force Lites' with my life etc.
I also have the original decal set for this bike which will be applied once it's been re-powdercoated over the Winter.

These photos were taken on the maiden test run ahead of an NWA retro meet at Llandegla this weekend.

92KiliRacer01.jpg

92KiliRacer02s.jpg
92KiliRacer03s.jpg
92KiliRacer04s.jpg

I am already quite pleased with the way it handles despite the weight added by the frame design. But that's not important because I love the way it looks.

-----------------------------------------------------
1992 Catalogue page

92KiliRacerCat.jpg

My Kili Racer has been ridden several times now and has quickly become my favourite bike. Here are some pictures from various rides:

Llandegla - October 2009

NWA-Llandegla-2.jpg

Cannock Turkey Twizzler - December 2009

Saracen-Kili-Racer_Cannock.jpg

Turkey-Twizzler.jpg

January 2009

I've spent a bit of time working on my Saracen including finally getting the decals applied and a bit of polish in time for it's entry into the BoTM Saracen special. I've decided to keep the original red powder coat for now and keep an eye on the bare metal under the BB.
After a bit of research and comparison I'm convinced that this is an early 1992 model, based on the dropouts and cable routing. These are identical to the 1992 catalogue image, and are similar to the 1991 frames.

Anyway here are a few more images in the snow.

92KiliRacer05.jpg

92KiliRacer06.jpg

92KiliRacer07m.jpg
92KiliRacer08m.jpg

92KiliRacer09m.jpg
92KiliRacer10m.jpg

92KiliRacer11m.jpg
92KiliRacer12m.jpg

92KiliRacer13m.jpg
92KiliRacer14m.jpg

92KiliRacer15m.jpg
92KiliRacer16m.jpg

92KiliRacer17m.jpg
92KiliRacer18m.jpg

92KiliRacer19m.jpg
92KiliRacer20m.jpg

Proper job :D :cool: looking fantastic. You've done it proud :)

If that was in BoTM that would get my vote!

I love the way they look, never riden one but if i saw one i'd snap it up for my stable

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Stunning bike and a good looking build too, its good to see it muddy :p

Do you have any colours in mind for the fresh powdercoat yet ? I am gunna have to get my Conquest refinished soon that the frame repairs are solid.

Photos were taken very early on in the ride, and it did need a good clean when I got home. I did however try to dodge most of the sheep sh*t.

I think at the moment I'll be sticking with the original colour because:
a) I really like it
b) I haven't any other red bikes
c) It's how it was BITD
d) I really like it

And here is the catalogue:

92KiliRacerCat.jpg

Back