1983 Specialized Stumpjumper

i recently purchased a book from the bay.......25 years of the stumpjumper.......it contains the full history of that bike with loads of period photos.......very interesting,great bike too,cant be many of them knocking around in that sort of nick.....

A prewar "DX", A prewar "C", and now an 83 Stumpy..... Dr S. We have a lot in common.....

Does this mean I am getting a Mountain Goat soon or do you have a Custom Ku in the works......

Nice piece of history there. Enjoy......
T

Ductape":17nq81jd said:
A prewar "DX", A prewar "C", and now an 83 Stumpy..... Dr S. We have a lot in common.....

Does this mean I am getting a Mountain Goat soon or do you have a Custom Ku in the works......

Nice piece of history there. Enjoy......
T

Cheers T
DX is still in the planning stage although I have about 60% of the parts for the build. Still have to sort out a good frame but no rush- no more bikes this year as I have gone over the bike budget :oops:

Si

Gravy Monster":2dq0avn6 said:
That is a serious piece of MTB history, Looks stunning, The reflectors should be the least of your worries that front canti yoke being backwards would really get on my tits :LOL:

You need to get one of them 25 year anniverary models to keep it company ;) now that would be cool :cool: Linky below

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0

I went with the canti yoke backwards on mine due to the old thick as a tree cables being difficult to bend in on the backside of the yoke, without cutting it or risking it fraying a bit.

nice pickup...though I would remove the flames from the top tube before removing the reflectors :LOL:

huh......

did i miss something? while it is in super shape the spec doesn't match the photos (!) i'm no expert, but it looks more like a (84?) stump sport. all shimano brakes- no mafac or tommaselli there....... :?

Re: huh......

7x":362fv05b said:
did i miss something? while it is in super shape the spec doesn't match the photos (!) i'm no expert, but it looks more like a (84?) stump sport. all shimano brakes- no mafac or tommaselli there....... :?

I now have the bike here in Northumberland and am trying to work out year and model. Going on the First Flight spec list it is spot on as a 83 Stumpjumper apart from the brakes which are as you say Shimano instead of Mafac/Tommaselli. Everything else is as listed though. I notice that the 84 Sport has different wheels and mechs to mine. Could it be an 83 Sport- for which there is no spec list?
Also the frame number is unlike any of the bikes listed :?

Coming up blank on this one. Can anyone help?

Si

I am not a Specialized expert, but being a fan of biplane Stumpies, I do tend to pay attention to the pics of the early ones I come across. I believe Specialized switched brakes from the Mafacs later in the 1983 production year. If we can make anything out of your serial number, possibly the J stands for October? Just guessing on that part........
Cheers,
T

Jeff at First Flight is equally flummoxed by the frame number too. It just don't fit.

Back