Fixed Gear fans only!

Have a Roberts 531 at Colour-tech currently, this will be built into a fixie and used for winter training

I use a singlespeed as a daily, does that count?

My next build will be fixed, which will be my nice weekend bike

A friend of mine time trials on 110" fixed.

I couldn't even get a gear of this size started!

Been posted in the MTB section before but for anyone who hasnt seen it, heres my fixed. Alot will dislike it some may love it :)

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,129
My Kilauea was fixed for a long time, but it's a more conventional flat-bar singlespeed now. Here it is in all its fixed-up glory of a year or two ago:

crw_8259_25_175.jpg

Just two fixies in the flat now - a tatty 1980s £20 Fred Baker Aelle frame that was built to be ugly and unstealable and keeps getting tastier and tastier (Dura Ace, Record, Chorus, Superbe Pro, Mavic SSC, Syncros, ITM, Flite, Chromed Nemo fork, all bought for peanuts at cycle jumbles) and my 1956 Mercian that probably has a Sturmey FM club gear in its future.

A decade or more ago, I rode a fixie exclusively for about a year - it was all I had, and I couldn't afford anything else. I ended up putting a freewheel on it - I got tired of twiddling down all the hills. I was very happy when I could afford gears again.

cce":1oqq0ebp said:
a user called Cab rides offroad on a fixed gear 29er inbred. drop him a message and i'm sure he'll give you the lowdown - he's a top fella.

Oi! trying to charm your way into my man-cave or what!
I have to admit I do prefer riding fixed these days, here's the main ones:

Dawes005.jpg

The yellow one, I've owned it longest & ride it furthest. If I could only keep one, this would be it. It can do a hundred miles a day, and handles some rough tracks (on 23mm clinchers!) & it is pretty handy round town as well.

Holdsworth3.jpg

The Street Racer.

CIMG1588.jpg

The Inbred. OK, fixed gear is a bit limited on technical stuff & downhill, but it's a blast to ride on flowing singletrack.

I know fixed isn't everyone's cup of tea, & I do own some geared bikes too (just don't ride 'em much!) I used to haul an Islabike with a fixed MTB, but now my daughters pretty strong on the pedals I find a traditional tourer a bit easier for that work.

here are a few ive assembled...

2478256783_b5ee74f2d7_b.jpg

mid 60's frejus track (currently in the personal collection of the founder of design within reach)

2331383008_78ac689290_b.jpg

carlton flyer with a sturmey archer ASC (3 speed fixed)

1795993627_10304d04d2_b.jpg

geoffrey butler track

340077438_11db3fda58_b.jpg

rossin (since sold, didnt like aelle tubing)

170911146_814bff4454_b.jpg

3rensho (sold, learned important lesson about proper frame sizing and fit)

Nice bikes there, onetwentyeight, I love the look of classic track bikes, they just don't fall into my hands like old road frames do! I bet they're great for alleycats & stuff, anyone do much mileage on one?
As for the ASC, any locals got one?

Back