BoTM October 2009 - Nominations please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is all the fuzz about,..we start to talk like another forum,.. :roll:

if you want an M950 or even M970 mech on there,..you got my blessing,...

have fun with your bike!

Defiant":11be8lyj said:
what is all the fuzz about,..we start to talk like another forum,.. :roll:

if you want an M950 or even M970 mech on there,..you got my blessing,...

have fun with your bike!

I second that, this is supposed to be light hearted fun - plenty of past winners with modern parts on them - how many white logo King headsets do we see on here?

My entry last month was mainly m950 equipped with m960 dual controls! No-one said anything (in fact Retrobikers turned out in their thousands to vote for me) (probably).

Easy_Rider":3shmv3sk said:
Didn't we cover this on page one, you can only nominate your own bike... i think :? nice funk though :cool:

Rules do not say so. I have pm'd the owner saying I have put his bike forward for nomination. Perhaps this needs clearing up with an update of the rules.

bushpig":2hejosff said:
Elev12k":2hejosff said:
I would like to add that the validity is not in question. The rules do not foresee in this.

[snip]

Because it is not in my interest that bars are raised. If I wanted to see modern bikes, I would have gone elsewhere. I speak for myself, but I think there is a fair chance that more visitors of a site inititiated to cover vintage bikes share this thought. And on the pedals on my Iron Horse: Yes and actually in the particular case you found the only non period correct part. I tend to be easy with pedals, as often bikes are displayed, sold, advertised, weighed and so on without pedals. Yes, I can be pragmatic too :)

This cracks me up. What is the line you are drawing. If you go to the readers rides, the line is 1997, and, with the exception of the fork, crank and rear derailleur, and tires, my bike is 1997 period correct, i.e. it would be slotted in to the older category of readers bikes.

I suggest that more people come here to see M950-era Mtbs than 1960s road bikes, but it is all good.

I have seen all sorts of bikes entered in BOTMs over the years, but I have never seen the amount of grousing this month. Interesting.

Noah, applied specific to your bike - if you want, both in concept and quick sum up of parts I immediately get the idea I am looking at a modernish bike. It is not even marginal, it is obvious. The frame is awesome. I am not a fan of m950 or V's, but the weight I attach to that is very small compared to the burly Fox, Thomson kit and not easy to ignore modernish XTR. Great it offers great function for you and if there ever would be run a FrameOTM your entry might get my vote.

Believe me, I have no title aspirations with the Gazelle. No matter what roadbike entry shouldn't come with title aspirations still. Not much doubt about that it is within the scope of the forums I fear. Hopefully one day a road entry will manage it to win. I think my black Zieleman came closest so far, with a 3rd spot.

Elev12k":9cqvw2yt said:
Noah, applied specific to your bike - if you want, both in concept and quick sum up of parts I immediately get the idea I am looking at a modernish bike. It is not even marginal, it is obvious. The frame is awesome. I am not a fan of m950 or V's, but the weight I attach to that is very small compared to the burly Fox, Thomson kit and not easy to ignore modernish XTR. Great it offers great function for you and if there ever would be run a FrameOTM your entry might get my vote.

This is what, to me, is so cool about this bike. The bike is 12 years old, nearly period correct, and yet looks modern. To me that speaks to how advanced WTB's design was. M950 is really not modernish, so really the problem is the crank and rear derailleur, and the Thomson stem is a ringer for WTB design from the 80s, so I like it. I This bike has a weirdo 31.6 seat tube dia or else it would have a 31.8 WTB post too!

The Fox, yea. I first ran the bike with a SID, which would probably be more 97 correct, but that fork really sucked. As it is, this Fox fork is getting pretty long in the tooth.

I must give that. It is a quality of the WTB (or even already Cunningham) design that the silhouette gives you the impression of a modern bike immediately. However: Would I have voted for it if it would have been say an A la Carte with similar specs??

bushpig":18a1rxvr said:
The Fox, yea. I first ran the bike with a SID, which would probably be more 97 correct, but that fork really sucked. As it is, this Fox fork is getting pretty long in the tooth.

I can imagine the SID experience is not so good. Have a Yo with colour matching Judy and it doesn't really deliver razor sharp handling.

I have my Phoenix finished with Type 2, just like you finished also a couple of yours I think (you have a couple, do you?), but I would be stupid to enter as nobody will vote for me anymore after my rant ;)

Here is my steel Phoenix. I am currently doing some work to it and expect to have it souped up soon.

phoenix-12-23.jpg

Elev12k":29kpe4si said:
Perhaps we should limit modern gear to a certain percentage or amount, like no more than two modern parts per build inorder to enter the botm comp, thoughts?

Exclude parts like chain, cassette and pads. Also not really strict with rims, tires, grips and pedals. Modernish stems+posts, longtravel forks or discs - not so good. Doubts with when someone has both modernish cockpit+post and 8cm+ forks.

Maybe put modern parts in categories. An entry could not have more than one or two categories or something along these lines. Still must be easy to understand and work with.

I'm with you on chains, cassettes, and pads, but rims/tires/grips/pedals are important.

Yes, categories could work; tightening up the entry terms with more detail/specific language is a good thing, perhaps it would keep the entry numbers a bit lower, with the more worthy bikes getting more votes. Every now and then, a hot rod month can be had to get the retro/modern bikes some fun.

bushpig":29kpe4si said:
This bike has a weirdo 31.6 seat tube dia or else it would have a 31.8 WTB post too!

ummmm...about that 31.8 WTB post, hmmmm, mind if I make some inquiries regarding its availability :D :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back