BoTM October 2009 - Nominations please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ededwards":3q9h1j6f said:
You've got a point there Pete but then again, nice bikes though they are, neither do it for me in terms of BoTM.

Then again, we all have our individual reasons for voting which are valid in their own right, it just seems a shame to me to see bikes with 'modern', whatever that means, components being entered.

Just a personal perspective you understand and I guess the key to it all is Rule 12 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8326

You are absolutely right. The funny thing is that being among all these Retro enthousiasts, that are sometimes very strict in their judgements on bikes and used parts being time correct etc, when it it is BOTM time, this goes all overboard, more modern bikes or bikes with modern parts are enterted AND voted for!
For me personally, I like modern bikes as well, but I will not vote for them here, but I also will never critize someones choice on bikes and/or parts.
Again, like you said, rule 12 is key here, and modern or not, I am always a bit blown away by the bikes entered, month after month!

pete_mcc":2wj10mpl said:
Elev12k":2wj10mpl said:
Now you mention your WTB: I spot a Fox, Thomson among more and in my view even m950 doesn't qualify for vintage.

A bike with a set of mid 2000s forks, gear shifters, headset, seatpost and rims just won BOTM, so I don't think we are too hot on 'period correct' around here. Can't see too much difference between the validity of the Serotta and the WTB tbh..

I highly agree.

bushpig":2wj10mpl said:
Last time I entered a perfectly period correct, very limited edition classic and got like 3 votes!

Next time I will swap out the rear derailleur and cranks before entering though. LOL!

:LOL: also true. While my wicked was not in that same class, it had some very hard to find period correct parts, all in near nos condition, and I abarely got double digits. I'm not whining...much...lol. It's all in fun right, but then...

Elev12k":2wj10mpl said:
Imo most importantly was that Bas had choosen for a 08/09 fashion paint job. However the entire bike gave me more vintage feel than a couple posted now (not necessarely the WTB), still it wasn't the one I voted for.

man, why being such a stickler this month...didn't your iron horse have extremely modern pedals?

Perhaps we should limit modern gear to a certain percentage or amount, like no more than two modern parts per build inorder to enter the botm comp, thoughts?

Let's see if we can't nick a few tired old Fat Chance votes... calling all contrary leftfield thinkers! Vote Green in October! :cool:

Mr K

Attachments

• Mantis ProFloater 3.jpg
    Mantis ProFloater 3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 780
  • Mantis ProFloater B.jpg
    Mantis ProFloater B.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 780
Aye!! ductapes ibis is a bit of a leg trembler, in it! :D

Al, back from the cold,cold, north.

GoldenEraMTB":1yzw1dru said:
pete_mcc":1yzw1dru said:
Elev12k":1yzw1dru said:
Now you mention your WTB: I spot a Fox, Thomson among more and in my view even m950 doesn't qualify for vintage.

A bike with a set of mid 2000s forks, gear shifters, headset, seatpost and rims just won BOTM, so I don't think we are too hot on 'period correct' around here. Can't see too much difference between the validity of the Serotta and the WTB tbh..

I highly agree.

I would like to add that the validity is not in question. The rules do not foresee in this.

Elev12k":1yzw1dru said:
Imo most importantly was that Bas had choosen for a 08/09 fashion paint job. However the entire bike gave me more vintage feel than a couple posted now (not necessarely the WTB), still it wasn't the one I voted for.

man, why being such a stickler this month...didn't your iron horse have extremely modern pedals?

Because it is not in my interest that bars are raised. If I wanted to see modern bikes, I would have gone elsewhere. I speak for myself, but I think there is a fair chance that more visitors of a site inititiated to cover vintage bikes share this thought. And on the pedals on my Iron Horse: Yes and actually in the particular case you found the only non period correct part. I tend to be easy with pedals, as often bikes are displayed, sold, advertised, weighed and so on without pedals. Yes, I can be pragmatic too :)

Perhaps we should limit modern gear to a certain percentage or amount, like no more than two modern parts per build inorder to enter the botm comp, thoughts?

Exclude parts like chain, cassette and pads. Also not really strict with rims, tires, grips and pedals. Modernish stems+posts, longtravel forks or discs - not so good. Doubts with when someone has both modernish cockpit+post and 8cm+ forks.

Maybe put modern parts in categories. An entry could not have more than one or two categories or something along these lines. Still must be easy to understand and work with. That says something for Ed's comment on better to take it not to seriously. Anyway I expressed my opionion on what is not likely I will vote for.

incredible bike! the original from the raleigh team in 1992!

beautiful!

carlton dyna-tech":300mpyln said:
Ti is nice on a set of wheels but I agree with SYN-CROSSIS about 'grey, grey, grey'....

So with that in-mind, and being a 'steel-wheels' fan, I'd like to nominate my 1990 Raleigh Dyna-Tech 2070 in team colours of the time. Ordered it from the Raleigh SPD and asked for it in the team colours, then transferred the Campag Centaur MTB equipment from my Overburys' Pioneer onto it. Fitted a Girvin Flexstem as they where de-rigeur at the time and had it sprayed to match the team yellow of the frame tubes. Full specs' here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=50297

main.php

PS
Used on the road also, hence the rear Vistalight :oops:

Elev12k":29mhbnkb said:
I would like to add that the validity is not in question. The rules do not foresee in this.

[snip]

Because it is not in my interest that bars are raised. If I wanted to see modern bikes, I would have gone elsewhere. I speak for myself, but I think there is a fair chance that more visitors of a site inititiated to cover vintage bikes share this thought. And on the pedals on my Iron Horse: Yes and actually in the particular case you found the only non period correct part. I tend to be easy with pedals, as often bikes are displayed, sold, advertised, weighed and so on without pedals. Yes, I can be pragmatic too :)

This cracks me up. What is the line you are drawing. If you go to the readers rides, the line is 1997, and, with the exception of the fork, crank and rear derailleur, and tires, my bike is 1997 period correct, i.e. it would be slotted in to the older category of readers bikes.

I suggest that more people come here to see M950-era Mtbs than 1960s road bikes, but it is all good.

I have seen all sorts of bikes entered in BOTMs over the years, but I have never seen the amount of grousing this month. Interesting.

I nominate Lou74's Funk. Full of character, plenty of patina and history - Mike Burrows did the carbon fibre repairs.

100_0147_750x563_198.jpg

I like period correct/catalogue correct retro MTBs but I also like retro frames built with a mix of practical parts that get used.

Completely modern bikes have no place in BOTM, but I enjoy looking at the post 97 readers bikes as much as I look at the pre 97.

Didn't we cover this on page one, you can only nominate your own bike... i think :? nice funk though :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back