Help Identifying Raleigh Frame?

montez

Retro Newbie
irst off I would just like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. I am trying to find out some information about this bike that I aquired from a friend last week, But I am having difficulty trying to identify the frame. I was wondering if someone with a greater raleigh knowledge of my own could help me out.

The only details on the frame are;

Cinelli Stamped BB Shell
A Product of Raligh Ltd England Decal
A Reynolds 531c Decal
Serial: WG8000373

PS. I belive that the frame was built 1987/1988

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Here is a photo of the bike which may help!

newraleigh.jpg

Similar colours to a Quadra. I know there were several series of this bike. I'm not sure if it had competition tubing though?

That's a nice frame. Is that a Fred Baker label I can see? If I understand the frame numbers properly, built in Worksop July 1988. Maybe it's a Road Ace. A lot of parts changed, but the Shimano 600 stuff would have been original.

yeah, I had one like that too, new around 88ish. Youve fitted different forks tho. It was sold as 531 comp, but someone in the know told me they were built with part 653. TBH for a budget racing frame it was really good and I managed to get it down to around 20lbs without any exotic equipment. It actually rode better than my colnago master for general road races (but dont tell anyone). In fact many friends who had spent lots on italian exotica were p#ssed off that my budget racing bike was much lighter.
The downside of the frame was the overlarge welding blowholes which caused the bike to whistle on descents. In the end, I too fitted different forks to overcome this.

message for LGF - this is the frame type which you acquired earlier this year. yours was repainted black if I recall.

looks like a cheap gaspipe job, I'll give yer a fiver if it helps an I would be doing you a favour! honest.

seriously nice machine mate, Worksop built just up the road from me, one of the builders is still building Chris at Edison cycles in Clowne.
I have a Raleigh Equinox(8 speed) of a similar vintage in 531c and it is lighter and rides better than my mates Colnago!

Back