'97 Kona Cindercone hotrod - Now with paint and decals!

Is my build retro enough?

• Yes. Were nearly in 2010 ffs!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well its kinda retro modernised...

• NO

• Its somewhere in between mate but still very cool ;)

• Total voters
Thermo SP crown race sorted. Contacted Silverfish and they got back to me with a part number and refereed me to any of the RaceFace distributors. Dropped CRC an email and they got back to me with a thumbs up! Should have it in 2-3 weeks. By then I hope to have the frame finished and forks fettled all ready to go! Cant wait! :D

What colours for frame fork?

I had decided to go for white as my old Cindercone was white and I rekon white Konas look the dogs. But, Just had a look through the 'Konas Page' thread and there's been quite a few white re-sprays (I did my old '95/96 Cindercone white back in 2001). Thats got me thinking about doing something a little more original.

Im not keen on stock 97 C'cone colours and my re-production decals from Gil_M are blue rather than orange so I need a colour that will look good with the blue decals. Ive not seen many 2-tone re-sprays so Im thinking something like a white front end with a nice fade into SID blue to match the forks. Then again I quite fancy re-spraying the SID lowers and crown in white and I have a plan for some sweet custom SID decals.

Did overseas 97 Cindercones come in any alternative colours? I quite like the Spanish yellow Explosifs. Pics would be nice.

Basically looking for some ideas to throw into the melting pot.

Then again I quite fancy re-spraying the SID lowers and crown in white and I have a plan for some sweet custom SID decals.

These are a few of the options for the custom decals on white forks:

(I did the last one myself by a bit of cut & paste with MS paint, based on proofs from Gil_M)

97cinderconemikers3.jpg

97cinderconemikers.jpg

97cinderconemikers2.jpg

I like the last one best. With a white frame (blue decals) that should look really good.

These are my frame decals:

97cinderconemike1.jpg

Opinions please?

Any opinions on white re-sprayed SID's with custom decals? I rather like the Kona style SID decals. Although white Kona's aren't exactly new custom matched forks are and I think the whole frame/fork could look really really good like this. Please let me know what you guys think.

Frame arrived at Shandcycles in Scotland safely and I've had a little update of the work done so far.

Before:
picture1752.jpg

After
3990496001_ff9ed18627_b.jpg

Theres a couple more of these to do then the disk mount will be brazed on. Its getting a new lease of life!

this does sound good mate. go for the fade effort with same colour forks as rear triangle. try to start the fade in the same place as the '93 ones had.. awesome. rasta skewers rock too. i was thinking of re-doin my lava dome with the same ethos you have here - discs, modernish parts to give a good, light, race bike if you would.... but i've just finished it and love it's retro-tastic-ness! think i'll try find an inexpensive frame like you did & start afresh.
1993_kilauea_catalogue_205.jpg

ps i like the sid decals. yup

Got bored and after reading most of the weightweenie page on MTBR I did this.....

picture1992.jpg

Is an original Kona seatpost clamp after a bit of work with the Hacksaw and files, plus dremel (using wire brush wheel) and lots of Silvo. I rather like it. Will be replacing the bolt with a gold coloured Ti one.

Just reading through your sheet,

Now according to MAVIC the Mavic 317 Disc are 445g (claimed) so that would be another 0.2lb to add.

You seem to lack a way to change the rear mech (no shifter weight or cable?)

Back