1994 Kona Lava Dome

Kona_Sha

Retro Newbie
Hi, Just wanted to pay back all the great pictures everyone has posted. It's helped me to watch all of you on your Kona rebuilds. Now here are some pictures of mine. This bike has been a dream to ride. Love this frame!

Thanks for all the great posts that came before me!

If you're like me, you always want to know what she's wearing. So here's the list:

Kona Lava Dome '94
Frame size 19" Cromoly - Green
Kona Superlight stays
Marzocchi XC51 oil/air front forks
Head set: Ritchey
Cranks: Sugino Impel 400
chainrings: 22/32/42
BB: Shimano LP-20 (115)
Pedals: Crank Bros "C" eggbeaters
Chain: Sram PC 830
Freewheel: Shimano HG 50 11-28
F/D: Shimano STX
R/D: Shimano LX
Shifters: Shimano Deore DX (top mount)
Handlebars: Kona Slim 165 (T6-6061 aluminum)
Stem: Race LIght Velocity
Grips: Lizard Skins "Logo lock-on" (green), lock rings (green) custom lettering (kona lava dome)
Brakes: Kona Race Light
Brake levers: Shimano (still have original kona's)
F/H: Kona Race Light
R/H: Shimano STX
Tires: CST COMP Cheyenne 26x2.1
Rims: Mavic 6106
Saddle: WTB Rocket V
Seat Post: Kona Race Light
Seat Clamp: Kona Race Light

weight: 28 lbs

Enjoy

Attachments

• Full front corner.jpg
    Full front corner.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 3,791
  • front full.jpg
    front full.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 3,791
  • grip top.jpg
    grip top.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 3,790
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 3,791
Nice, near-original specification there. I like the custom lock-ons. If there was a prize for 'seat-furthest-back-on-rails-of-the-month', I think you could be fairly laid-back about your chances of winning it.

The fork looks like it's still going strong, plenty of air in it. I've got a XC500, but it has a broken crown so I've never had a chance to ride it. What's yours like to ride?

Anthony

i had an XC51 on my 1994 AA and i found it frightening and noodly. i'm quite chunky at 14.5 stone though, and have done 95% of all my riding on P2's over the years...

I'd love for it to be all original. I have all the original parts, but they have a bolt missing, or small crack... you know. With a bit of time, I could restore it all back to original spec. The XC51 took a bit of adjusting, but once I found the right spot, its a dream to ride. With too much air, they will kick back really fast, which can be scary on a rocky trail.

I put the seat back that day, cause I rode the bike to work :D :D
Consider this my "commuter" setup. :)

Very nice and I must say I have a love for all things green. I see you have changed the awful Kona Race lite brake levers :LOL:

My 94 Cindercone is in similar condition and spec and I had to ditch the kona brakes too as they killed my hands with the holes :x

looking good matey, i love the custom green lockjaws!
one thing though, you should leave about 10mm before the kink in the rails on your saddle.

Back