Show me your single speeds!

That's the way the tensioner spring is wound! So down it is...
Also, wheel replacement is much easier I suspect.

Some tensioners CAN act up or down. Others (the cheaper, single mounting. sprung ones) can't. I prefer the smooth pulley (up or down action) ones to the sprocket variety, but the one I had in the box won't fit to cowled drop out.

clockworkgazz":1m41cqe7 said:
can you not flip the spring and reverse the tension?

No, clockwise is clockwise, regardless of which way round...maybe I could swap a spring from a canti. However, I've not shipped a chain on the back in a long time. I guess it would be critical if using conventional ramped cogs, but I have a BMX one. The chain entry angle is similar to that of a derailleur, and I've never had a skipping problem on one of those either.

I think the chain skipping problem is one that is exaggerated. The only time I've ever lost one is when landing a jump.

with a der. and gears you prob wouldn't be putting as much strain on the chain as when you SS on the very steep climb as you would prob have switched up a few gears anyway and even if it is exaggerated (not sure) the thought of the pain as your gongs rattle on the top tube would make me go down the "better safe than sorry" route. Mind you, if it works for you they fill your boots.

my pinnacle :D

pinnacle09ov2.jpg

That's true. :shock:

I think the answer is that it's sensible only to do mega hill climbs when using a proven setup :D

My Kona King Kahuna and Moots Rigormootis single speeds.

The lower pic is as the KK is now with the following in titanium; Syncros seatpost / clamp, stem, pedals, CK Headset, stackers, Black Sheep forks, ti railed flite, Hope ti front hub and a sprinkling of ti bolts. Also sports Avid Ultimate brakes with Flak jackets and 517 ceramic rims, rear hub is a WI ENO eccentric with WI 16t freewheel, Middleburn RS3 cranks with Surly 36t stainless chainring and ti self extracting bolts. Easton carbon monkeylite risers with ODI Ruffian lock ons.

I haven't used it for months as I'm always on the Moots ss these days, so I guess it may be in the classifieds as soon as I can be ar$ed / have time to strip it down. :(

All that's changed on the Moots Rigor is some new tyres, just fitted this afternoon.

Attachments

• KK & Score (3) (Medium).JPG
    KK & Score (3) (Medium).JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 2,551
  • P1010053 (Medium).JPG
    P1010053 (Medium).JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 2,551
  • Moots ss (1) (Large).JPG
    Moots ss (1) (Large).JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 2,550
  • Moots ss (2) (Large).JPG
    Moots ss (2) (Large).JPG