What length forks for a '98 Orange Clockwork

Dora

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I'm mid build and fitted some Kona project 2s (420 mm from crown to axle) but the old Clockwork looks a bit jacked up and very laid back) Are these forks too long or am I just not used to the relaxed head angle on the old Clockwork? (I'm traditionally a Kona man). Any advice greatly appreciated.

Dora

P2's do that to a bike, make it look all slack angled and wierd. It's even worse on the early (pre 1993) clockworks which had near horizontal top tubes. Ugghh!

See how it rides. If no good and a bit chopperish then switch the forks then. '98 Clockworks were suspension corrected so 420mm forks should be fine, it just may be a bit aesthetically challenged! ;)

Thats good advice, the constant angle from crown to axle does add to the laid back appearance but comparing the actual head angle to my old Explosif and my sister's Stumpjumper from the same era the clockwork is somewhat more relaxed. Are clockworks known for this? Is it something like 70 degrees compared to 73 degrees on the Kona?

Regards,

Dora.

Dora":3932j8yz said:
Are clockworks known for this? Is it something like 70 degrees compared to 73 degrees on the Kona?
I doubt your kona had ahead angle of 73, the accepted standard for a long time was 71, most never went steeper than that. Equivalent seat angle was 73 so maybe thats where the confusion lies?

The Clockwork seems to have similar head and seat angles, the Explosif has a steeper head angle but similar seat angle to the Clockwork. I wonder what length fork it was supplied with. Anyone prepared to whip out their tape measure?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• headangles.JPG
    headangles.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,144
Back