Framesaver

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm thinking that I should use Framesaver or similar - any advice of what product to use?

And are there any that only require only partial dismantling as otherwise with 6 steel frames it could be a very long process!

Hi Ed,

I use Mike Sander (grease, needs to be heated to 100°) or FluidFilm (oil, various thicknesses) for all my steel bikes (and my car). I spray it with a compressor and gun ...or go with an aerosol can FluidFilm AS-R. The aerosol can is of course by far the most convenient for a cyclist. The can comes with two nossles. With one of them you can spray through the little holes that non sealed frames have in rear triangle and forks. For an additional euro you get a 60cm long nossle. With that piece you can do seattube and toptube from seattube out (if hole is large enough). Downtube can be approached through the bottlemounts. The stuff will creep forever as it never becomes solid. A 40 µm layer will be left that doesn't wash away easily.

Thanks Melvin, the aerosol based one sounds like just the job!

However I've done a quick search and can't find the product in the UK, you (or anyone else) don't happen to know what it or an equivalent product might be called here?

Dinitrol.

Search for frosts on the 'net, classic car restoration folk. Very good stuff and comes in a can with a cool diffuser head that sprays round in a spiral to give full coverage.

you can buy a can of frame saver from 18bikes in Hope for a tenner and will do 6 bikes for that.I did 2 recently and was very easy(although you can't see in the tubes to see what has happened).I did the seat tube and crossbar after removing the seatpost.The downtube and chainstays from the BB area and the seatstays from some drain holes.I found that on a previous frame,I used spray waxoil and after about six months the BB was creaking badly.After removing my Campag Chorus BB found two circular areas of the theaded section were completely eaten away,in the shape of the seatstays,so never used that stuff again

Back