You paid £200 for THIS???

This is my own personal view so feel free to ignore...

Please dont get it done in white!

E-mail Chris and he should let you know. My guess would be earlier than '97, but Dekerf will confirm it one way or another.
I had mine re-done in white :oops: but would definitely go for a different colour now.
Enjoy it :D

Thanks for reminding me... .... To e-mail DeKerf again. They really are rubbish at answering Emails.
3 E-mails without reply, then pretty prompt reply, when I bought some decals, that they didn't know what model I have, despite sending them the frame number. :roll: and pics :roll:
Still, glad to see they're busy!
Looks good in blue, but I have chosen another colour! :D

I think your frame must date from between Kikaha's bike and 1999, because you haven't got the elegant canti cable guide that he has, but you have got the three cable stops on the right. He moved them to the left c99??

Another rough guide might be to measure the a-c length of the fork. The longer it is, the later the frame very roughly. Or is it a Kona P2? If so, then I imagine it's 41cm a-c and they started making them with ahead steerers from 1997. Some have the date of manufacture stamped on the steerer.

Thanks Anthony! The fork is a P2, though I can't think that it was originally specced with the bike 'cos it's only single butted.
The canti stop could have been removed when it was re-sprayed. It does have the early type (flat) Ritchey dropouts and early open both ends seatstays. Also, the frame no. is very low (DEK254) though I could have missed a digit, but I doubt it.
Hopefully DeKerf will reply soon, and also post my transfers before the posties go on strike. Bob Jackson have had it a week and a half, and they reckoned on a 4-5 week turnaround... :p

I wasn’t that surprised about the P2 because I’ve got a vague feeling that I heard he used to offer them as an option at some point. But I’m usually wrong, or so I’m told. I agree though that I can't imagine him using the 1000g+ type of P2, as it has no business being fitted to that frame. Even the 800g variety would be having ideas a bit above its station.

I must admit I hadn’t thought of the canti guide being removed. If so, hopefully the culprit was struck by lightning soon afterwards and burned to a small pile of ash.

The trouble is, if the fork isn’t original and there could have been a canti bridge, you presumably don’t know the geometry for sure yet? I must say it’s very surprising if CdeK can’t tell you the age from the frame number!

Back