'97 Kona Cindercone hotrod - Now with paint and decals!

Is my build retro enough?

• Yes. Were nearly in 2010 ffs!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well its kinda retro modernised...

• NO

• Its somewhere in between mate but still very cool ;)

• Total voters
Tires may not offset it, not sure how heavy Kona tires where.

BUT Kona put cheap heavy Bottom Bracket in there bikes. Even the Explosif still had a UN-5x in it.

the Ti bottom bracket will offset most your weight :LOL: ( just under a 1/3 lb save there ;))

ok check the tires (scatch/Sniff = 575g inner tubes probably saves you 20/30g each)

so ~ 2/3 lb for the tires/tubes and bottom bracket saved.

Nice.

Be great if it comes in under 24lb. I can see lots of Ti and Alloy bolts finding their way onto the bike soon. I already looking at after-market Cabon plates for the rear mech.

Should be easy to get it under 24lb and looking at what you have in your list it certainly should be. I would have thought you looking more below 23lb.
(only unknown there is the discs I have no idea of their weight penalty over the V's)

maybe get a mod to move this to the projects/bike section (<=1997)

Since I had my (as my reference.) Altitude ('91) frame is 4lb 10oz (20") with MAG-94's and XTR kit and nothing super duper fancy light for that era other than a hope front hub was down at ~23.5lb and you're starting lighter and adding lighter thing to it.

lol, i'd get it built up before looking for carbon plates and such.. Don't they are cost effective weight saving. You've done most of it.

lol, i'd get it built up before looking for carbon plates and such.. Don't they are cost effective weight saving. You've done most of it.

Yeah I know. But carbon mech plates with Gold KCNC pulleys is serious bling! :D

mikesnowdon":1cfzsz9h said:

Chavtastic ;-)

But seriously - that'd look awful.

Neil":z9sju2dv said:
mikesnowdon":z9sju2dv said:

Chavtastic ;-)

But seriously - that'd look awful.

Nahh mate, It'll look cushti! ;)

I need a crown race for a Raceface Thermo SP headset. Maybe a crown race from a different headset would fit? Any ideas?

Some pics of the lower bearing cup:

picture1911.jpg

picture1912.jpg

Back