How accurate is Sheldon brown ??

Hilts

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Have got a USE seatpost I want to use but need a Shim as it's too narrow for my spesh and i'm not exactly sure of the size i need.

The site states that an 89 Rockhopper has a seatpost size of 26.4, however my bike came with a 25.8. does this mean the guy before me changed it and just cranked up the pressure (it does drop into the frame very easily if there's no seatpost bolt fitted), or Sheldon has it wrong??

Anyone got any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure mine was a 26.4 ish.

if that helps. Which I'd say it almost certainly doesn't.

:roll:

Sheldon is the guru, how could he possibly be wrong? More seriously, I'm not sure of the accuracy of the site but it is very highly regarded which is good enough for me.

Could you just measure your seat tube with some vernier calipers to be sure of the size you need?

And regarding commercial shims, I couldn't get the exact size I needed for the Vit T but using a slightly larger shim plus a bit of squeezing and bit of beer can between the shim and the seat tube worked fine (drinking the contents of the can also steadied my aim).

vernier calipers ??? Isn't that what Forrest Gump had on his legs ?

Judging by the ease the post slips in i reckon that Sheldon is correct, just wondered if anyone had ever fallen foul of his measurements ..

Well if you can't measure then trusting in Sheldon sounds the next best thing (and as there is a USE shim listed on CRCfrom 25.0 to 26.4 it sounds right).

ededwards":3hah9zjj said:
I couldn't get the exact size I needed for the Vit T but using a slightly larger shim plus a bit of squeezing and bit of beer can between the shim and the seat tube worked fine (drinking the contents of the can also steadied my aim).

Ah ha!
It's not just me then! :LOL:
Orange states "All seatposts 25mm, shimmed to 28.2" in there 1997 catalogue - so I bought a 25 - 28.2 shim (which proved too big).
Then I phoned them to ask about decals etc and they said i'd have to measure what size seatpost is required as they are all different!

I'm just going to file the shim down a bit (it's thermoplastic) - should work I reckon. :cool:

Yep, fettling the shim works fine and I've fitted a variety of posts and diameters without a problem. Not the most elegant solution though, is it?

Not elegant and a slight pain in the arse but even with a whole beer can down there it'll still be lighter than a Litespeed Obed!
:LOL:

Is being lighter than a Litespeed the point?

And should we not hijack this thread any further?

Back