Setting Sail on the SS Specialized Hardrock (1997)

zigzag":34rshls1 said:
dumped the Singleator for a Blackspire Stinger chainguide thingy that sits on the BB and acts a tensioner - much neater!

73126356.jpg

Has that been a success? It looks mega neat, but how does it attach and have you suffered any problems with it (poor tension, movement, etc)? Thinking of going in a this direction with my alpinestars build and your experience would be much appreciated.

Aye, not hugely happy with it so far to be honest - looks great, but I've definitely had some movement and loss of tension. You can compensate up to a point by sliding the tensioning wheel up the diagonal channel towards the BB, but then next ride out same thing happens.

It basically sits between the BB collar and the frame, and it's the tightness of the BB that keeps it in place. Obviously I don't have the BB as tight as it needs to be. I think if you could get it screwed down nice and tight, it'd be a decent solution.

Cheers for that,it's much appreciated. Was thinking pretty much the same thing would happen. Read some reviews on CRC and those were all positive, but I think most of those reviews where from downhillers using it more as a retention device. Really tempted to go with this chain device just coz it looks great and will allow me to dispense with the mech hanger, but i'll think twice before purchasing.

Great bike by the way, I was looking through the 'show me your SS' thread and it really stood out as being something a bit different.

Ach, I treated it as a £20 experiment - it was that or one of those half-link chains... I'm thinking if I can wedge something between the stinger and chain stay, I'll be able to really tighten up the BB without worrying about the Stinger moving.

Looks wise, the pictures flatter to deceive. You don't want to see the ugly hose routing on the other side, and it's picked up a fair few scrapes. Great ride though.

That's turned out really nice DR, it looks the part - nice idea too, taking a hybrid and turning it into something a bit more 'purposeful'. How does it ride? Still the original forks?

Freaked out any yoofs down the skate park with it yet? :D

zigzag":klvzcwdy said:
That's turned out really nice DR, it looks the part - nice idea too, taking a hybrid and turning it into something a bit more 'purposeful'. How does it ride? Still the original forks?

Freaked out any yoofs down the skate park with it yet? :D

my mate Jonny rides it now and he gets lots of nice comments... since I took that pics it's gone to 32/12 gearing and doesn't need a tensioner :shock:

ps, the wheels are 26" and yes the forks are awful, but at least it stops and goes well :LOL:

Back