Taping bars.

mojopete

Dirt Disciple
Just going to re-tape my bars. Done a bit research, Park tools, youtube etc,
and they all recomend starting at the bar ends and finnishing at the top, necessitating some insulation type tape to finnish it off.

From what I can remember many moons ago we used to start at the top and finnish at the bar ends. Starting at the top there is no need for extra tape as you just overlap at the start and finnish at the ends with a plug.

Why this change of direction.

Pete.

It's because in theory, when you grab the bars while riding you will twist and pull the tape downwards. In case of the old method of wrapping, this makes the edges of the tape curl up and you will unwrap the handlebars. The old way is certainly better looking and I've never noticed I applied a lot of downward force onto my handlebars but I always use the "new" way of wrapping and I must say it never comes loose by itself.

2194193413_6b823eb589_o.jpg

I'm a bit of a dab hand at bar tape. Would you like some more tips?

thanks Agency_Scum. but done it now. looks ok, getting the bar ends neat was the difficult bit.

Like your tape, busy bee. :eek:

With modern Bike Ribbon type tape I start at the bottom and end in the top middle with some fancy multi-colour taping. With Benotto I start at the top middle and finish with tucking in with a plug.

I also used to start with 2 sections, one at top middle and one at bottom and finish by tucking the ends under the rubber brake lever hoods. This can be quite neat.

There is also this method -

http://www.wastedlife.org/bike/harlequin/index.html

Yet to try it myself but hope to one day!

ragnar....."as featured in my Chesini X-Uno thread."

That's a stunning bike. Just put it on my desktop. :p

Pete.

Back