Is this an XLM or a Mountain (Merlin Content)

Simon

Senior Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Good buy Si, nice one. Not sure what it is, but like you say at that price, doesn't matter too much.

Simon":1lcaxz4i said:
I won this on eBay over the weekend - $280 for the bike and $50 shipping seemed a pretty good price. I suspected it was a Mountain (I don't think they made XLMs that long ago) and at the money I don't mind, but can someone confirm for sure:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290101738024

You have got yourself a nice deal!

I am pretty sure that it is a Merlin Mountain with XLM decals on it.
The bottom bracket and the 27mm seatpost sise are old, and as far as i know where never used on de XLM.

What parts are you going to use on that frame?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
What parts are you going to use on that frame?

Well I don't really need a new project.... It'll probably go up in my parent's loft for a while (married with my own place and I still store stuff at my parents :D ) but when it does it'll either be done as a really lightweight semi-retro singlespeed, or something that's yet to be decided based on what cheap retro parts I can rustle up. If I find a nice bike with full M900 at a good price that might be the route I choose...

Simon, nice buy. Bargain whatever as Gump says.

Well that's obviously a Massachusetts Merlin (pre 2002) but with 2003 Extralight decals.

I'd say it may be an XLM though. Not absolutely sure. I'd ask Merlin. Give them a buzz in the states with the frame number and they'll tell you for sure.

that's not an XLM. the XLM came out in 1995 i think. it looks like this has the press-fit grease guard bb which they dropped in 1992 i think. should be a 1992 model, one of the first with the s-bend stays and really retro :)

the XLM would have a top pull front der with the cables routed along the top tube and a cable stop at the top of the . also i am not sure if the XLM came withe the 1" head tube at all?

seat post should be 27.2mm btw...

Carsten

Well, it arrived today (really impressed with the shipping. I know the dollar is taking a hammering but £25 to get it from there to here in under a week is cheap).

It's really lovely - the brushed titanium finish hides all the little battle scars so it looks really good from more than a foot away. It weighs 4lbs on the nose including the bottom bracket (in a 21" size) so it's not exactly a porker.

I've still no idea what I'm going to do with it - watch this space

yepp, rigid and fully xt or xtr...

at least one xlm got a 1" headtube...

merlin_xlm_001_various_003.jpg

http://kalimotxo.com/mtb/merlin_xlm_001.html

ashok

Back