Sarona (Saracen and Kona content)

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Here we have my latest effort, a Carerra Quattro estay frame made from Reynolds 531 Magnum by Saracen mated to a Kona TB P2 fork. Most of the bits are robbed from my Mona (stripped down to frame and fork to be converted to single speed when funds alow - so some time away yet) which in turn had most of the bits robbed from my Univega the frame and fork of which has now moved north of the border to its new home. I'm trying to build myself a regular rider so I'll be tinkering 'till it's right. The Carerra stickers were awful but luckily over the laquer so off they came. Splatter paint is very forgiving, it now has a few more splatters of black Humbrol enamel to cover chips and cable rub.

I got the seat post and front mech in the post today from Onza on ebay, bargainous prices and really helpful people so I don't mind giving them a plug.

Frame: Carerra Quattro Estay. Reynolds 531 Magnum tubing built by Saracen (any one know what year?)

Fork: Kona TB P2. This is 415mm AtoC, which is a wee bit long, it should have a 390mm fork but this is the only P2 I had. I have the standard for for it but I think P2s look better .It rides OK as it is, though I only took it for a gentle bimble.

Headset: Tioga Avenger
Stem: Tioga Avenger Prestige OS
Handlebar:Ritchey 6061 T6
Grips: Race Face

Brakes: Shimano XT M734
Brake Pads: Koolstop
Brake cables: Jagwire
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers:Shimano XT M733

Shifters: Shimano Deore 7+1 thumbies
Front Derailleur:Shimano LX M550 (this will do 'til I find the matching XT one for it)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M735
Derailleur Cables:Jagwire
Cassette:Shimano LX HG70 11-28T
Chain:Sedis
Cranks:Shimano XT M730
Crank Bolts: Shimano XT
Chainrings:Shimano SG46,36,26T
Chainring bolts:Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN54
Pedals:Ritchey SPDs

Hub Skewers: Mavic
Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite
Hubs: WTB Speed XC
Spokes: Sapim
Tyres: IRC Mythos (rear is a front arse backwards)
Tubes:Specialized

Saddle: Flite ti
Seatpost: Zoom
Seatpost Binder: Kalloy QR collar

Attachments

• Saronai.JPG
    Saronai.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 4,487
  • Saronaii.JPG
    Saronaii.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 4,495
Lookin' good :p Like the P2s on it. Smart.

Got mine today (F&F) from moderator Jez after convoluted route via my sister's house (more realistic postage charges :LOL: )

Will build up for my daughter whose current Gary Fisher is a fraction too large - this will suit her better. Very nicely put together frame and well finished.

Are you going to be cheeky and apply Saracen decals :shock:

1992 it is then.

I'm not going to put Saracen stickers on it. At the mo I just want to ride it and get it riding right. I may go for a fresh powdercoat when it becomes a keeper.

Part of me just can't wait to have kids if for no other reason than to have someone else to build bikes for. I hope your daughter likes her new bike.

Back