im new and possibly mad,, dyna-tec crisis

Give the forks a whack on the bottom with a rubber mallet -- should help free off the bolts

I've been looking for one of those long hex keys for a while to pull my Mani 1's to bits.......

P.S. if you fill the legs with any oil type fluid you'll kill the elastomers...... which are prob goosed anyway but if not.....

well at the moment i have mani1 rigid forks so im not expecting much when i get them apart,

anyone replaced elastomers on these, can you still get them or what have people used,

whoever thought using a foot long allen key was a good idea at the design stage was definately smokin something back then ,

um :oops: ok

good news the forks are apart

a pic says a thousand words so here goes cant wait for the replies

Attachments

• oops.JPG
    oops.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,201
You've lost me stubb
Usual tools are -hammer ,shifting spanner ,allen keys
when did stanley knives come into the mix :?

Is it bad,little puddles usually suggest a stitch or two
Pics?
Mind you ,they say you have to bleed for your art :? ,looks like you've certainly done that. :LOL: :LOL:

I look forward to seeing the damage ;)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I swear ,that does look like blood,Hard to believe that was solid once :shock:

Long live oil & coil :cool:

mini update

the forks are mid way thru being polished and cleaned up by myself, i have ordered a set of elastomers and someone is on the case to find me the fork seals,

the cranks are a different story, they stripped out trying to remove the drive side arm . so at the moment i have the non drive arm off and i dont have a bb tool at the moment so cant try to remove one side first, i am thinking of taking a grinder or hacksaw the the drive side crank arm to remove it as i dont want to hit it too much and risk damage to the ti frame tubes or ally lugs of the bb shell,

i was wondering if abike this age can be fitted with more modern splined or even external bb,s , anyone tried this . trying to think of possible issues , chain line or even the bb shell itself being square, i dont know any knowledge welcome.

ive also bagged another dynatec frame which will be with me by the weekend so could be a donor if this ones bb gives out on me,

pics of progress later in the week

i was wondering if a bike this age can be fitted with more modern splined or even external bb,s , anyone tried this . trying to think of possible issues

They will work fine although you may have to swap one (and only one) of the spacers over to run external BB. I ran a 1993 Saracen Killi with Deore LX hollowtech2 cranks no bother at all. Chainline wasn't brilliant but acceptable. Octalink might be you best bet other that square taper (DO NOT get ISIS! they are an appalingly bad design!). Narrows your choice almost exclusively to Shimano cranks, but that isn't such a bad thing, and the BBs last ages.

As for getting the crank off, I'm guessing the cranks can be sacrificed yes? If it is a diamond drive crank then you can easily cut down the backward facing (away from the pedal) corner of the taper then hammer a sacrificial (or just old) screwdriver in the gap to open it out. If its a standard square you can try the same but it tends to be a bit more difficult.

The other, more 'proper' more engineeringy way to do it was to find a 2-pronged puller from somewhere. This is a device with 2 hooked legs that fit under the back face of the crank and a bolt that pushes against the BB axle.

Personally I have often used the "Me caveman me use hammer and saw" approach to it, usually successfully.

Pip

Back