1970's (?) Jacques Anquetil tourbike

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know the pictures are bad, but I just had to share this. I just bought this bike, which I plan to use as my daily driver. Some of the parts are not original, like the brake levers, rear light and possibly the handelbar, but the rest is in decent shape. If anyone here has any idea about what original parts it had or what the exact build date is......

Specs as I know them now:
Frame: Jacques Anquetil "type Tour de France", Bocama lugs

Stem: SR Swan-60

Brakes: SYP Sport

Shifter: Huret
Rear Derailleur: Huret Svelto
Cranks: Universal Aduprat

Hub Skewers: "wingnuts"
Rims: Samir Saminox
Hubs: New Star
Tyres: Michelin C Course (700c x 32)

Saddle: Per John

DSCN3440s.jpg

DSCN3441s.jpg
DSCN3442s.jpg

DSCN3444s.jpg

Hmm it's an interesting bike that's for sure. Although I can't say I particularly like it (just not my type of bike), it does have some nice details. And it's certainly more appealing than the average city bikes I see everyday. Is the brake bridge not drilled? You might want to turn the handlebars upside down for that vintage sporty tour look :eek:

That's a real cracking bicycle, I note here in these forums, it always seems to be "Mech" not Derailleur and I am only seeing a Rear Derailleur written out. Fair enough. 5 speed I gather.

Anquetil, sure had some peculiar aspects to his life, I never knew of but to the bike, the photos are a heckuva lot better than some I have posted. It's just dark. We'll add on as it's components become a bit better known.

It looks like the saddle nose is a bit tipped up and might give me a bit of discomfort. :shock:

It seems alot of the bicycles they made in that country back then has those mudguards (fenders they are called in some places), front light, rear red light (lights on yours) That seemed to be standard there: but did not always make it out of the country.

That bike is also a good example of why I asked the question about how to protect decals and was told, get "helicopter tape", there might be other ways, but that bicycle certainly has some nice "autocollants" on it.

Cruiser/Riser bars, drop bars, mustache bars, it is a personal choice, I just wish it was easy to try an array of ways, without having to change the brakes and in some case, bar tape. You may well like those conventional types of bars in this case. Books use to say, for travelling long distances, one wants drop bars but a lot of people ride hybrid/mountain bikes for long distance and they don't have drop bars.

I bought this bike as I wanted a classic bike to go to work, but with fenders for when it rains, and when I saw this one, it just felt right. It is by no means a quality bike, but carrying the name of this legend and the fact that I have never seen or heart about it, makes it interesting enough for me.
You are right, it is a 5 speed, that works flawless and I like the odd sight of the single shifter lever.

I won't do a full resto, but will improve it, even if it is just to get more of that vintage look. Therefor I really would like to keep the Per John saddle. The position is really of, but I didn't had the chance to ride it yet. It is really hard and "winged out", if you know what I mean. I hope treathing it with proofide (Brooks) will soften it. It has the tension possibility and seeing that it hasn't been tensioned at all, is another sign it hasn't seen much action.

I will replace the brake levers and possibly the brake calipers. These look like the are made of stamped sheet metal, so I will probably change them for some decent CLB's.

The stem and handlebar are something else. I was thinking about reversing the handlebar, but I am not really sure this will look good with the high and 60 degree SR stem.

Anyway, as a commuter, this is surely good enough and still a bit special.

Is your Professional a Raleigh or what brand is that in your gallery?

Here is a bit of an interesting Peugeot Touring bicycle on Ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Peugeot-px- ... 286.c0.m14 Very nice, to the collector of course or real fan of that bicycle it might fetch a lot, I won't even predict what I think it will level out at. With 3 days, lots of time left. I'm certainly not bidding nor have any connection to it. It's nice but I don't think it's the ultimate. Actually, I'll predict it will plateau out at around $400 dollars because it is pretty nice.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
jacques anquetil

I found one of his racers down my local tip in france, fished it out of the dumpster and sold it on for £20...kind of regretting it now, they seem pretty rare, but of varying quality...

When I saw the heading I thought it would be one of Jacque's own race bikes from 'Le Tour'! However, it turns out to be something totally different. I know that his name was used on a range of race frames sold in the UK by Ron Kitching, some of which were quite good but didn't know of the 'sports' type bikes such as this one. They were probably made by a big manufacturer (Gitane??) and branded JA as a marketing exercise. It looks OK and is probably quite comfortable to ride.

Regarding the race frames, I was told that the top ones, probably those used by the pro team and top amateurs, were built by a quality UK builder but the cheaper stock ones could be a bit 'iffy' at times. I will say that I've no personal experience, just what I've been told by people who know all about these sort of things.

Like it! loads more stylin' than the 'so hip it hurts' fixed gear commuter.

I like it. Great, unusual colour.
And the metal mudguards with lamps attached is a good blast from the past.

Only changes I would make are to drop the stem down and to probably fit a handlebar gear lever (altho' this would probably not be retro). And get a drrrinng bell on it.

Back