94 cinder cone

-=Mint_sauce=-

Dirt Disciple
Right, got the making an ass of myself out of the way...

down to business... 94 Kona cinder cone,

what groupset should i use? where can i get a sticker set and should i go original or stealthy?

would it be sacrelige to have the frame powder coated matt black and make it a moody looking thing? have confirmed it as a 94 model by downloading the brochure.

are manitou mach 5's worth rebuilding? or is anyone selling any RC35's?

:D

Welcome!

I'd put some of that nice black LX on a '94 Cindercone.
Have you had a look at the colours available on http://www.argoscycles.co.uk/www/colours.html :?:

As for forks, tough one.
I'm sure some nice person on here would sell you some RC35s.

Or you could go for something a bit different and track down some AMP forks or Marzocchi XC600s or something!

Goodluck with the build! :D

Ta JS1500, nice clockwork by the way, i sold one years ago for £50 regretting it now :(

nothing on argos really takes my fancy, who else is good at painting bikes? would it be best to keep it original? and am i right in thinking the cinder cone was nothing special ?

one other thing, how much would a complete lx groupset cost me? ish?
cheers!

Louis

Thanks. I too once sold a Clockwork and regretted it!

You could try http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/resprays.php or find a local place.
I can't remember where the Cindercone was in the line up but i'm sure it's a good, solid frame and it's certainly retro!

A full NOS LX groupset recently sold on here but i'm not sure how much for... quite a bit though!

An idea might be to buy a cheap but fairly well equipped donor bike off ebay and take all the best bits off it.
Dunno if that is feasible - typing as I think here!

cheers fella, doesnt say a final price but about 100 doesnt seem too bad? guessing it went for more than 75..

could i get a painted frame polished or sprayed in a Ti colour or is that just being plain silly....

also another stupid question coming up!

can i convert 1 1/8 from quill to ahead?

about 100 doesnt seem too bad? guessing it went for more than 75
Yeah, more reasonable than I remembered.

sprayed in a Ti colour
Could do but I dunno how close to a natural ti look a paint can get.

can i convert 1 1/8 from quill to ahead?
You'd just need a new aheadset and a threadless steerer tube with enough length.

Mint
if there is a car body shop in your area you could try taking the frame to them for a respray, take a 4 pack of beers and £30 should sort that out

I'd go for a dark color myself and get some cheap carbon bars off ebay with a red stem or something

matt black powder coat it is!

now i just need to find the rest of the parts to build it... who is the resident kona supremo on here?

got lots of brain picking to do!

i picked up a gt talera today... think it has a "u brake" other than a missing seat tube its completely original same lady owner for last 13 years!

would this be worth fragging for the right period parts? thinks its soemthing like 300gs...

Back