Kielder Octoberfest Race. RB Team Entries Wanted 10th Oct

Velo we were debating this on the way to Inners and we reckoned(correct me if I'm wrong gazz/jimi) that we the MacRetro lot seem to be focussing more on the riding this year. Albeit were probably turning out more bikes, the big draw for us has been riding as a group and getting out and about. More riding is starting to show the weaknesses and maladies associated with retro/old/secondhand bikes. You tolerate so much but there does come a point were you hanker for a wee bit of reliability.

Why are modern bikes more reliable?? apart from millions of punctures per year and that Boulder aside, my bikes are 100% reliable apart from crash damage. I'd say that my Cotic has needed just as much fettle time as the oldies. If anything the old stuff is more reliable, there is less to go wrong. My Yeti 575 was constantly needing tweeks and fixes.

Your right Kaiser, we're becoming bike riders again and thus to best appreciate the style and terrain we like we need whats best suited.
I do like old bikes, I love my hardrock but I love trail centre riding and these centres are increasingly built with the capabilities of the modern machine.
For example the new Nevis red grade XC route recommends the use of 6" travel bikes to get the most out of it. This makes it practically a no go area for rigid machinery. Inners is rideable but its on the very edge of our bikes capabilities. Dr S bent his clunker for pity's sake :roll:
I am seriously thinking of a new disc braked hardtail but as usual I'll probably still be thinking for a long time :roll: :LOL:
At Kielder ride the bike your happiest to hit an unknown trail on, no point hurting yourself just to prove a point ;)

Modern bikes are more reliable because there new. Most of the mechanicals I have at the moment are from the wear and tear of second hand stuff. It might sound like I'm poo pooing the whole retro bit, its not, its just I don't have as much time as I used to to spend on fettlin and fixing bikes.

I only bent the Klunker because A. I'm overweight and B. I'm a clumsy bastard who thinks he can decend like Tomac. Also to be fair a 20mm OD seatpost is never going to be the most robust of retro parts.

I'd much rather take a retro bike around something that a web designer says needs to be riden on a 6" bike because thats what Miles, Rupert and Tarquin rode there. Its bollocks. Just get out on what you have got and enjoy the challenge!
I'm no faster or any more comfortable on my modern thats for sure.

Si

I hear what your say Dr.S but arguably one of our most technically capable members DaveDH has done the Nevis red on his reasonably modern 4" travel Intense full sus and he wished he had more travel. This makes me think its not worth risking my neck and thus its probably not a trail centre for me :shock:

Brand new bits on an old frame would probably raise the reliability of ones steed. May just go for simple upgrades ;)

Keep on clunking ;)

This is a really interesting discussion and follows on from what we were talking about in the car Kaiser.

I tend to take the splatter out if I want a no hassle, comfy, mud adventure and not just at trail centres, local rides too. This is partly due to my need for a longer top tube but also I appreciate the front bounce and the geometry seems to be a better fit compared to the more race set up on the orange.

The Yo is being built to see if it can combat this urge and should be as reliable (SS Rocks) and may be as comfy (over most xc stuff) and if my wish comes true, then it should be automatic first choice.

However unless you get NOS retro bits, they will not be as good/reliable as new components (15yrs of development has made things better- it has to be admitted), so I suppose its up to our willingness to accept the shortcomings of retro for the fun and camaraderie that you get riding beautiful but ageing machines and this willingness waxes and wanes dependent on the most recent thrilling outing- SSUK on the dale for me, real high point for me- or the last man cave frustration session- spindles and collars fuckfest for me!

That said I like to be a bit different than the herd so retro for events is a default setting but like velo said happy trails come from happy riders so just bring a bike and get muddy :D

Mark the turncoat is out. Seems i'm double booked with the North West Area. Which is a real shame as it looks like a fantastic event, but the NWA group needs as much support as possible to get going, so i'll be with them at Llangeda. Sorry about that gents, please have fun.

velomaniac":zjw0pt68 said:
I hear what your say Dr.S but arguably one of our most technically capable members DaveDH has done the Nevis red on his reasonably modern 4" travel Intense full sus and he wished he had more travel.

Everytime I get my arse in a race car I think it could do with an extra 40bhp or some more caster at the front, more rear wing, better brakes, a lower final drive etc etc. but I just get on with making the most of what I have. As long as you can keep having fun thats the important bit. Were 6 inch bikes any faster around the bike park at Glentress than my Klunker?

Ride what you have, enjoy the sunshine and good company and do your best with what you have

Amen.

Back