ProFlex 1996 856 Rebuild - ON HOLD !!!

Ever seen a ProFlex with a crackle paint finish ? :

DSC04311.jpg

DSC04312.jpg

Strangely enough for such a crap standard paint job (have a look under the seat gussets – they forgot to paint under there on mine and it was bare ally !) the paint stripper actually struggled with it :shock:

I am pleased to say that the frame underneath looks to be in very good condition and only has the smallest of dings in the top tube (you couldn’t see this when it was painted, only when it was stripped and flatted off). There is no corrosion, cracks or anything else to worry about, not bad for a freebie … :cool: I will post some pics when it is fully prepped as I am still rounding off a few sharp edges etc getting it ready for powder.

Some of the other bits have been cleaned up and came up really quite well. The seat stay bridge :

DSC04325.jpg

It’s a bonded construction with cast ends. I was quite surprised by the quality / design of some of the bits – stainless steel threaded inserts :

DSC04328.jpg

I have cleaned the top front damper mount up :

DSC04332.jpg

But I am not sure how I should finish this – powder coat to match the frame or to match the swing arm ?

I have started on the forks to :

DSC04320.jpg

I was wondering about removing the canti bridge and bosses as they are riveted on but they were also glued … I tried stripping one fork leg first and found once the rivets were drilled out the bits could actually be removed quite easily as adhesives aren’t very strong in ‘peel’ :

DSC04314.jpg

DSC04317.jpg

Once the legs are finished these will be going back on with stainless steel rivets :D

More pictures coming soon … ;)

WD :)

This is probably what your bike would have looked like new, except Nuno has replaced the MCUs and it's the later frame, notice the gusset.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=#205615

this one is probably the same spec as yours in the image but not the write up, as the bike in the image does not have the GDT shock or coil springs as described in the spec list, this one has no extra gusset.
http://www.bikepro.com/directions/proflex/856.html

Fork details and some other tech ref for info
http://www.k2bikes.com/PDF/techLibrary/ ... 2_assy.pdf
http://www.k2bikes.com/index.php?sectio ... y&cat=2000

Thanks for the link :cool: I had found most of the instructions but not the one for the vector II so that will take some of the guess work out of the rebuilding :LOL:

A few of the bits I have ordered for the build have now started to arrive :D

I guess these pics answer the question on component choice / build style :

DSC04335.jpg

DSC04338.jpg

DSC04343.jpg

I also picked up a great condition Flite Transalp (thanks Archangel :cool: ) :

untitled10.jpg

untitled11.jpg

But everything can be improved a little … ;) Spent a bit of time with the ‘wet n dry’ and good old kiwi :

DSC04339.jpg

DSC04340.jpg

DSC04341.jpg

DSC04342.jpg

Thanks for the comments :D

Well a few more bits of bling have arrived :LOL:

Ti brake studs from Singapore (there are really nicely made :cool: ) :

DSC04379.jpg

Some light weight tubes and rim strips. Valve caps came of Scant and will be anodized to suit the other bits :

DSC04385.jpg

And M970 V brakes to match the lever / shifter pods :

DSC04375.jpg

I know XTR is probably a bit overkill but I like the look of it, I have never tried any of it before, its made really nicely and as it cost me 33% current rrp, it couldn’t be refused … :shock: :cool:

I finished prepping the frame on Sunday which consisted of flatting down any scratches, rounding all the edges so the powder takes nicely and removing the orible lump of weld in the seat tube to stop you sticking the post into the damper, hopefully I wont be regretting that … Stupidly I forgot to take any pictures so they will have to be included in the next update :oops:

WD :D

WD Pro":1qvuq3hw said:
But I am not sure how I should finish this – powder coat to match the frame or to match the swing arm ?

Why do I feel wholly inadequate when looking at your build threads?

:LOL:

Anyway, match the forks to the swingarm - gives a nice balanced look front & rear (which is hopefully what you'll get shock-wise!)

;)

Yes, pretty sure I know I am set on the color scheme now :

frame : blue powder
swing arm, strut & fork legs : black powder
all ally parts that are suitable - stem, dampers, headset, qr's etc : royal blue ano
springs : red (they come black - if the finish is good I will leave alone)
graphics : White, black outline with red squigle

I am going for black with the front damper top mount but will need to speak to Windridge to see if it will look good once done due to it's complex shape :?

Hopefully won't be to long before the bits are sent for powder and ano - the piles of sorted components in the dining room are not going down to well with the gf ... :oops: :LOL:

Playing catch up with this build, but worth it. Great work thus far and a great choice of components and tyres (those XC Pro 1.8's are just fantastic).

sinnett177":3oxo803c said:
Playing catch up with this build, but worth it. Great work thus far and a great choice of components and tyres (those XC Pro 1.8's are just fantastic).

Thanks, and yes I hope so … :D

I have always liked ‘thin’ off road tyres – My favorite on the Marin were the old 1.5” Specialized Hardpack’s.

When I was looking around for this build I wanted something a bit more modern but thin and fast rolling, the fires kept getting mentioned. Doing a bit of research, I found out that other than width and bead, there are a couple variants of this tyre and the Japanese manufactured items are the ones to have (Better rubber grade, more tpi and lighter). I found the ones pictured above on flea bay and as they were color coded to my build with the blue sidewalls and a red highlight, they just had to be bought :LOL: Got a good price on them to - £35 a pair posted from a proper cycle shop / trader :D

Trouble is I don’t like the large white writing on the sidewalls, any ideas for removing this ? White sprit and degreaser have had zero effect, I might try a bit of thinners next but I am not sure if this will damage the rubber… ? :?

Springs and stem should be arriving soon ;)

Back