What Tyres

mojopete

Dirt Disciple
Continuing with the modest refurb of my Dave Lloyd, the tyres are perished so will need new ones.

At the moment they are Hutchinson Kevlar 700 x 20.0 .They look super skinny, will I have to replace them with the same width. The wheels are Mavic MA 40.

Any recomendations.

Pete.

With those rims, you don't have to replace them with the same size, you can use 23 and 25 as well, maybe even bigger.
It depends of course on what you visually like, but also on the roads you ride most. On my evening rides, I us the town roads and some back roads and they are not so smooth. I like a bit bigger tires, so I have a bit more cushioning.

Thanks Senri. I was thinking that, like car tyres you can go a bit wider.
The roads round here are a bit rough so wider will help alot.

mojopete":yreyr6g8 said:
Been having a look at a few tyres, are coloured ones a no no. :?: :LOL:

Pete.

Why the hell not, I think tyres are probably the most boring part of a bike to look at. There are loads and loads of coloured options but make sure the tyre you're looking at is actually any good - what tyres have you been looking at?

If you ride all year round, then something like Conti Ultra Gatorskin is a good choice, or Conti GP 4 season if you are feeling a bit flush.

For a faster (but more fragile) tyre Hutchinson Carbon Comps worked well for me. As I'm a bit of a Conti fan I'd probably pick Conti GP.

Round me there's loads of small flints and cattle grids, so it's the Gatorskins.

mojopete":3513m13s said:
Vredestein Ricorso Road Blue.
can I put a link up,?? if it's against forum rules I will edit it.

http://tinyurl.com/mgoqep

Pete

Hard to go wrong with Vredesteins, usually pretty reliable tyres. The Fortezza Tri-Comps are higher specced, though with less weight and a bit more zip to them, and better puncture resistance than an awful lot of racing tyres. Generally about 20-25 quid each, so not cheap, mind you.

David

Have had a great season riding Ritchey WCS Race Slick700x23's on two of my rides and I can honestly say that I've had a flat free season with over 4,000 road miles and I'm amazed at how well these tires have worn especially for a rider of my size and weight. Made in Thailand so probably out of one of the Vredestein or Vittoria plants

Back