The bike you never talk about!

I started racing on a Huffy with 200GS. It probably weighed 35 lbs. Thats not including the suspension fork I bolted on. ;)

Ammaco Monte Carlo road bike, named after the famous cycle race that has never taken place in the Principality!!
Though I wouldn't say its a bike I don't talk about- I just tend to mention it at the same time I divulge my battle with Anal Herpes.........masks the embarrasment, y'see!!

Wasn't actually a bad bike- heavy, basic Shimano Tourney components, but then again it was only @ £150- only real rubbish components were the brakes, which I soon swapped for an Exage set(iirc that was the second cheapest shimano stuff.......), and got a better gel saddle for it.
Got me out a-byceHucklin', did miles and miles on it, so it did it's job handsomely.
Nowt wrong with cheap first bikes!!

Cheers,
Dav

Keep it coming dudes!

Funny how those first bikes we had evolved with bits bought with scraped cash and swops with mates (in my case, anyhow)

The aforementioned Diamondback I had eventually ended up with tange big forks, deore thumbies, zoom stem and brama bars (!) an ancient campagnolo front mech and a nicked marin lite saddle amongst other things.

I didnt cut the fork steerer properly so the headset was well loose also!Loved the bike though. Maybe crappy was a bit harsh a word to use...

my dad got me a white framed triple crowned fork unknown chopper seated 5 quid at the car boot bike when i was about 10 i hated it now id kill to get my monty back :cry: :cry: :cry: its amazing what you had that was cheap and nasty as a kid that you would love to get back now the next bike was a monster bmx that was way to big for me i couldn't touch the floor even with the saddle all the way down

those were the days

Well the first "proper" mountain bike I had was a 1989 Raleigh Mirage in Reynolds 501 steel tubing with an Exage County groupset (18 speed with thumbies).

But of course like many of my age I started in the early '70s with a stripped down 10 speed road bike, with the chunkiest 27" tyres I could find and "cow horn" handlebars. Went everywhere on that bike, mostly on footpaths where we never got any grief because we were just "kids on bikes".

And there was the piece de resistance, a fully suspended, drum braked single speed, off road bike that I owned in about 1975.

It was actually a Raleigh Wisp moped of my Dad's that the engine had blown up. It had two chains, one for the engine and one for the pedals. So we removed the engine and petrol tank (that sat over the back wheel like a carrier) and ran it as a bicycle. What a hoot! Heavy as hell but fantastic for thrashing down hills. The UK's first downhill bike perhaps?

Dar Kuma":15abliln said:
i would talk about the bike your not allowed to talk about, but I'm not allowed to talk abut it.... :roll:

can some one let me know which one your not supposed to mention?? i dont want to make a fo par!! :LOL:

shitlised rockhopper comp disc
stiffer than john holmes
a fcukin awful thing and it tried to kill/maim me at any oppertunity
mike

that would be cool even today
take a bow mate for you are a style guru

Back