James Martin being a c*ck about cyclists

"May I take this opportunity to apologize for any offence I have caused through the article in last weekend’s Mail on Sunday. It was never my intention to offend the many cyclists who share our roads across the country. What was intended to be a humorous piece was clearly misjudged. Further more I do not condone any form of reckless driving.

Once again, I am sincerely sorry for any upset caused in relation to this article."

It doesn't look like a humorous piece to me - it may be an attempt to make fun of people he doesn't like, but surely there's far more malice in it than there is humour?

What I find most pathetic though is the final sentence, which is about as blatant a lie as you'll find, and typical of so-called TV personalities. What he means is that he's sincerely sorry that he's in trouble, but he thinks that by being smarmy and false about it he'll get off and be able to carry on being a rich smug jerk exacly as before. Sadly he's probably right.

Meow !

Handbags at Dawn Ladies :LOL:

I suppose in the end we'll get some positive cycle press
------------------------------------

I usually have to meet somebody to know if i like them or not :?
Plenty of thugs out there take a dislike to others without knowing them.

legrandefromage":2jfbz3g3 said:
watched him do the Mille Miggly thing and just thought he was an arrogant tw*t.

YES.

I liked him before this. There was no humility and he was taking it far too seriously. And like all Italian exotica, it had to end in tears and a large bill. This bike outburst has done him no favours.

And if he rides a mountain bike, it's been too infrequently - he's put some f*cking timber on him and no mistake!

dyna-ti":3q158r3i said:
I usually have to meet somebody to know if i like them or not :?
Plenty of thugs out there take a dislike to others without knowing them.

My dislike is only based on the last thing cyclists need is idiots like this, trying to do the whole no-bandwagon-too-slow thing, and jump on Clarkson's coat-tails by this overblown, pantomime machismo and arrogance over who "owns" the roads.

That and the wording of the apology - like Anthony said, it basically comes across as "I had no idea my arrogance would produce such unfavourable public comments, so I'll pass it off as a joke, and pretend that I'm slightly concerned".

I'd have had more respect (yet still the same amount of dislike, mind) if he'd had the stones to simply say - "Yeah, so what - that's what I think, and that's how I behave".

Thats one of the strangest comments i have read in a long time.

The fact that James Martin has a SantaCruz,so he must like bikes!!

owning an exspensive bike does not make you cyclist.
I own an Airfix of a 109e, that don't make me a fighter pilot!! ;)

The man made an ill judged comment about endagering lives on the road.
people have stood up to him,and he has climbed down. Maybe this will remind him that he's a cook on the telly,and not a comic! although most of them are a bunch of clowns.

Al, :D

I don't cycle through red lights. I don't drink herbal tea. I don't talk to car drivers unless they talk to me.
But i like cycling in the countryside in lycra

The reason i said about the Santa Cruz and must be into bikes is really that you dont just randomly choose a lovely bike like that, after all we know they are great but they are fairly simple to look at and if you were a person not into such things you would choose something far more ostentatious wouldnt you.

Either way my apologies if i offend, i just like the guy.

dorsetbikeloving":c9my0gyi said:
The reason i said about the Santa Cruz and must be into bikes is really that you dont just randomly choose a lovely bike like that, after all we know they are great but they are fairly simple to look at and if you were a person not into such things you would choose something far more ostentatious wouldnt you.

It could be completely random, it could be on merit. Who knows?

The fact remains, he wrote and had published something that was stupid and hugely irresponsible. To say nothing of being a pale imitation, and despite being contrived, without any appreciable humour.

dorsetbikeloving":c9my0gyi said:
Either way my apologies if i offend, i just like the guy.

I get that you like the guy. That's your choice. There's plenty of people who I like / admire / respect. If any of those people did something so stupid and arrogant, I wouldn't be afraid to say so, because my appreciation of people isn't blind.

When somebody does something stupid and arrogant, it's not a betrayal to say it's a stupid and arrogant thing to do.

yawning_mouse_poster-p228142740952947650trma_400.jpg

Back