Disk mount adapters for non-disk frame. (DIY)

mikesnowdon

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Frame is an old Kona Cindercone 1997.

Im actually considering something DIY as Im quite handy with metalwork. I was thinking of something that makes use of the pannier boss on the dropout and clamps the seatstay about 2/3"inches up. Nice and simple and compact.

I know about the A2Z and brake therapy adapters. Are there any other options?

I would like to run Hope mono minis.

BETD do some adaptors although nothing specific for Kona. Usually have to drill a couple of small holes in the dropout. Only really works for alu frames. Not been much help have I? Have a look, you might be able to modify something.
I do know of someone using an A2Z adaptor on a King Kahuna though.

Re: Disk mount adapters for no-disk frame.

mikesnowdon":39bfwmjc said:
Frame is an old Kona Cindercone 1997.

Im actually considering something DIY as Im quite handy with metalwork.
I would like to run Hope mono minis.

In that case I'd suggest doing what I've done with my '95 Explosif and that you make up a proper braze on caliper mount.
It's probably an easier job than trying to fabricate some sort of bolt-on arrangement.

You need to make up a fixture to locate the inner face of the bracket in line with the inner face of the dropout and the two caliper mounting holes (at 51mm crs.) at the correct distance from the wheel spindle centre.
Some 10mm threaded bar, some M10 nuts and a piece of 6mm thk. steel plus a few washers is all you need - just make sure that it all ends up at 90 degrees to the wheel spidle axis.

Here are the IS standard dimensions.

And a photo of one that I made earlier....

A couple of bits of advice - although the inner face of the mount is theoretically in line with the inside of the dropout, it's best to position the mount outboard by maybe .1mm/.004" (space it out during brazing with a couple of caliper shims) and make the final adjustment with shims, because if you have the mount too far inboard then the only adjustment you have is by facing material off the mount.
Likewise, it does no harm to have the spindle centre to hole crs. dimensions 0.5mm/.020" over those specified, as otherwise some calipers (Magura Marta for example) run extremely close to the disc periphary.

Silver solder the whole lot in place with 842 alloy (610-620 deg. C)
You can get the silver solder and flux from these people.
The seatstay/chainstay brace is just a piece of tube cut from an old frame.
You'll need to birdbeak the ends so that they fit really snugly - the same with the caliper bracket, it all should fit as well as possible before silver soldering.

If you need any more info just shout, but after this Saturday I will be away from (this) home for seven weeks (with no internet access), so I'll be incommunicado..... :)
I'll have to ride bikes instead :cool:

Attachments

• Caliper-mount.jpg
    Caliper-mount.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 5,868
Argos handy work......

Looks better than factory:

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Have also used an AtoZ and can say they work but just aren't as pretty!

2565048625_d45914b7e4_o.jpg

letmetalktomark":1sx7adj5 said:
Andy R":1sx7adj5 said:
And a photo of one that I made earlier....

Dang thats good work :shock: :cool:

I do like that bike Andy :cool: :cool:

Yes, I seem to remember you saying so before :D - I'm (as I'm sure everyone is aware :oops: ) ridiculously fond of it and it's difficult for me to imagine anything that would suit me better :cool: .
I'll really miss it while I'm in Greece for the next seven weeks :cry:

old konas are really prone to snapping at the dropout....

therefore, i wouldnt.

cce":odyqmim7 said:
old konas are really prone to snapping at the dropout....

therefore, i wouldnt.

Not if modded correctly ;)

Argos checked the weld area before starting - does mean loosing more paint but well worth it.

Also if you stick to rotor sizes of no more than 160mm you should be fine.

P1010006-1.jpg

Andy R":2c6ldyyh said:
I'll really miss it while I'm in Greece for the next seven weeks :cry:

The tribulations one must put up with whilst somewhere warm :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

How is the big front wheel thing working out?

Back