Dave Lloyd - CATS WISKAS

"Seatpost, saddle and bars have been in use by me since 1997 :shock: "

So time for a new bar :?:

Still impressed by that frame. It's beautifull.

Elev12k":1887iak6 said:
"Seatpost, saddle and bars have been in use by me since 1997 :shock: "

So time for a new bar :?:

Nah!

Not constant use... more... intermitant...

Since 95 when I think about it more

That frame is absolutely stunning! :shock:

Nice mix of parts too. If I see you around i'll say hello.

:cool:

Well... it's been having a good thrashing recently and I've found a couple of faults. Not with the frame though - it's a real cracker :cool: :cool: :cool:

The lovely lively feel of steel is hard to beat and this bike has that feel in spades :D

Faults...

1. It's very hard to remove the front wheel due to the V-brakes not opening wide on the Pace RC35 forks.

2. The RC35 forks are very soft... read VERY VERY soft. I got new elastomers from Pace and these are the only ones available. Not sure what I'm going to do here - open to suggestions :?:

3. The XT headset comes loose. Even after I've tightened it. The headset is lovely condition though. I know it's not Retro but I think I'll go aheadset :oops:

4. The 135mm Zero rise Control tech stem is a little long and low. I'd like to fit my Manitou stem which is 120mm x 5degree anyway as it's a work of art and has been on a few of my bikes since 1994 when I bought it.

5. The XT rear hub has seen better days and it probably needs a new freehubbody. I remember pissing on it one freezing day in 1999 when it froze up :roll: (before I stopped using it, and put it on my wifes fair weather bike). I have a blue Hope Hubbed wheel waiting to go on :cool:

6. The bushings in my rear mech have more travel that Alan Whicker :?

7. The cables are rubbish - but I knew that already :oops:

I'm chuffed to bits with it but it needs a little more garage time and effort to make it even better ;)

Oh,

And cheers for the positive comments... I'm enjoying this retro malarky!

It's all about bikes innit!

I've got a review for the bike. From an old MBUK. Can't remember what year but I'll dig it out. Remember it was all yellow and black like a bee - pretty loud and ott. The testing crew used it to go pot-holeing down some caves. Think the issues they found were a lack of rear mud clearance and the chain stays were too long or something. Anyway I'll have a hunt, scan and get back to you...!

Can't believe it's taken me so long to do a search and find this topic and scan from Retrobike guy.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ight=lloyd

Brilliant - I remember the article :cool: :cool: :cool:

1993... WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:

CATS WISKAS = Cycle All Terrain System With Integral Suspension Keeping Alignment Static

Which explains why this frame doesn't look lay'd back with the RC35's.

I hope it's going to ride just as well with the late nineties Bombers I'm about to stick on it!

Latest posts

Back