Information needed on 1990 Diamondback Apex

iosono

Retro Newbie
I have a 1990 Diamondback Apex project bike and I need all the specs including frame geometry, photos and any other information about this bike that I can get my hands on.

I am the original owner of the bike and after 10 years of not riding it I thought I'd fix her up with a good cleaning, new wheels, rubber, saddle, cables and a paint job. The shifters, breaks levers, breaks, fork, headset, frame, crankset, chainrings, derailers, hubs, and cassette are in very good condition.

The bike shop I took the bike to for the disassembling, cleaning and powder coating has underhandedly swapped my lightly used Shimano Deore DX components to very used LX components and now I am concerned that the fork and frame I got back aren’t the ones I gave them. The same shop also built new wheels for the bike which were supposed to be with the original hubs from my old wheels but again I am worried that they used hubs different from what I originally had.

Any help I can get identifying the original specs for my bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• SS850213.jpg
    SS850213.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 5,053
Was the original colour red with black stripes, that would be a '91 as pictured below.

Attachments

• Apex april '09 (Custom).jpg
    Apex april '09 (Custom).jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 5,007
XTSTIMAN":2j562kns said:
Was the original colour red with black stripes, that would be a '91 as pictured below.

Miss mine every day... :-(

My first real MTB. Still got the brochure from 91.

edit: forgot to say, would still have it now, if not for some ne'er do well, who probably only got about 20 quid for it. Mind you, if it hadn't been nicked, I probably wouldn't have bought a 95 Apex, which I've loved just as much. I'd still like to have both, though ;-)

My apologies, I should have mentioned in my original post that the bike in the picture is before being painted so what you see there is the original color; it could actually be a 1989 Apex but I am almost certain it is a 1990.

iosono":2epo43yn said:
I have a 1990 Diamondback Apex project bike and I need all the specs including frame geometry, photos and any other information about this bike that I can get my hands on.

I am the original owner of the bike and after 10 years of not riding it I thought I'd fix her up with a good cleaning, new wheels, rubber, saddle, cables and a paint job. The shifters, breaks levers, breaks, fork, headset, frame, crankset, chainrings, derailers, hubs, and cassette are in very good condition.

The bike shop I took the bike to for the disassembling, cleaning and powder coating has underhandedly swapped my lightly used Shimano Deore DX components to very used LX components and now I am concerned that the fork and frame I got back aren’t the ones I gave them. The same shop also built new wheels for the bike which were supposed to be with the original hubs from my old wheels but again I am worried that they used hubs different from what I originally had.

Any help I can get identifying the original specs for my bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

that 1990's i sold a few of those back in the day. Teh hubs were not shimano on allof those but soem OEM stuff, the from one was soem tiawan thing. the seat should be an avanir gel but apart from form that it looks pretty spot on.

biglev":2ggp2pok said:
that 1990's i sold a few of those back in the day. Teh hubs were not shimano on allof those but soem OEM stuff, the from one was soem tiawan thing. the seat should be an avanir gel but apart from form that it looks pretty spot on.

My 91/92 Apex had Deore DX throughout, hubs were DX (I've still got the wheels). Think it had a gel saddle, though - I may well have changed that, BITD.

Pedals were the only groupset omission I can remember for my 92 Apex - think I changed them, either for DX ones (flat / bear-trap), or Tioga Surefoots (VIs). My 95 Apex differs on groupset with the chainset (Sugino Impel), pedals (not sure if they were no name, or the Tioga Surefoot VIs it runs, now), but hubs definitely went with the groupset (Deore LX on my 95).

I'm more concerned about the shop swapping all the componentry (and possibly the frame). That's just not on. I hope you went back in (with your before photo) and delivered them a swift kick to their goolies. That's not only rude, but theft in my book!

could have been an honest mistake? but if they are really trying to palm off the shite stuff as yours then surely that is outright theft? take the police in with you if they protest, you have your 'before' photo and being the owner from new you have a lot on your side i reckon..

Believe it or not I have just purchased the same bike (a black version) from eBay for a total of $171.00, which includes the cost of shipping and as an added bonus it comes with the original owner’s manual!

My next step is to visit the bike shop with the eBay bike and owner’s manual; I’ll post the outcome of the visit.

Attachments

• eBay 1990 Apex.jpg
    eBay 1990 Apex.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 4,885
Back